5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- The United Nations
- Winston Churchill
- Iwo Jima
- a Britain's new prime minister during WWII who pleaded for US aid, rallied the British with his speeches, infectious confidence, and bulldog determination; known for his "iron curtain" speech; agreed Hitler should be conquered; was thrown out by his own people.
- b An organization of nations that was formed in 1945 to promote peace, security, and international cooperation. The organization is located in New York City.
- c ..., a bloody and prolonged operation on the island of Iwo Jima in which American marines landed and defeated Japanese defenders (February and March 1945)
- d Emperor of Japan during WWII
- e A policy in which a strong nation seeks to dominate other countries poitically, socially, and economically.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a constructed line of defense created by France against the French-German frontier.
- Date of attack on Pearl Harbor
- British deny Germany of taking over the Suez Canal, Allied victory in October 1942 led by British general Bernard Montgomery and supported by U.S. tanks that repelled Germans back into Tunisia. They halted German advance in North Africa
- Japanese city in which the second atomic bomb was dropped (August 9, 1945).
- second time the United States was on the offensive (the Battle of Guadalcanal had been the first); and the first offensive in the critical central Pacific region; also the first time in the war that the United States faced serious Japanese opposition to an amphibious landing
5 True/False questions
Hiroshima → City in Japan, the first to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, on August 6, 1945. The bombing hastened the end of World War II. (p. 797)
Dunkirk → A political movement that promotes an extreme form of nationalism, a denial of individual rights, and a dictatorial one-party rule.
Adolph Hitler → A very crude leader that took advantage of a disillusioned and depression-stricken nation. After the Treaty of Versailles blamed Germany for WWI, lead the nation into WWII under the "big lie." In 1932 the nazis had become the largest political party. came to power legally in 1933. used his new power to turn Germany into a totalitarian state. he took propaganda to a new level. He enforced the secret police. His hatred of the jews, or anti-Semitism, was a key part of nazi ideology. Hitler led to the way and leaded the Holocaust.
Mt. Suribachi → This is the highest point on Iwo Jima and is where five U.S. marines and one navy medic raised the American flag after Iwo Jima was taken away from the Japanese.
Guadalcanal → 1st offensive against Japan lasted 6th month,the battle for Solomon island was a turning point, First US land victory over the Japanese