Human Biology and Health
Terms in this set (33)
- body system that consist of the heart,blood vessels, and blood
- also called circulatory system
a hollow, muscular organ that pumps blood throughout the body
each of the two upper chambers of the heart that receives blood that comes into the heart
each of the two lower chambers of the heart that pumps blood out of the heart
- the largest artery in the body
- receives blood from the left ventricle
the wall of tissue that separates the right side of the heart from the left side of the heart
a group of cells located in the right atrium that sends out signals that make the heart muscle contract and that regulates heart rate.
blood vessels that carries blood away from the heart.
tiny blood vessels where substances are exchanged between the blood and the body cells
blood vessels that carry blood back to the heart
the alternating expansion and relaxation of an artery wall as blood travels through an artery
the pressure that is exerted by the blood against the walls of blood vessels.
the liquid part of blood
red blood cells
a cell in the blood that takes up oxygen in the lungs and delivers it to cells elsewhere in the body.
- an iron-containing protein that binds chemically to oxygen molecules
- makes up most of red blood cells
white blood cells
a blood cell that fights disease
cell fragments that play an important part in forming blood clots
a network of veinlike vessels that returns the fluid that leaks out of blood vessels to the bloodstream
a small knob of tissue in the lymphatic system that filters lymph, trapping bacteria and other microorganisms that cause disease
a condition in which an artery wall thickens as a result of the buildup of fatty materials
a condition in which blood flow to part of the heart muscle is blocked, causing heart cells to die
a disorder in which a person's blood pressure is consistently higher than normal;also called high blood pressure.
What are the four components of blood?
2.red blood cells
3.white blood cells
What happens to stop bleeding when you cut yourself?
1. Platelets release chemicals that start chain reaction
2. This reaction creates Fibrin (chemical released from Platelets)
3. Forms Proteins (Fibrin)
4. Fibrin weaves tiny fibers across the cut to make a clot.
List three things to keep your cardiovascular system stay healthy
3. Avoid Smoking
What does the circulatory sytstem consist of?
2. blood vessels
What three functions does the cardiovascular system perform
1. Delivering needed materials
2. Removing waste products
3. fighting disease
Explain the patterns of blood flow
* Overall pattern of blood flow is something like figure eight
1. First loop blood travels from the heart to the lungs and then back to the heart
2. Second loop, blood is pumped from the heart thoughout the body and then returns again to the heart.
Where does the blood go in each?
1. right atrium
1. left atrium
3.pumped into aorta
4. tiny capillaries---Travels to parts of body (brain,liver,legs)
What causes blood pressure?
1. The force with which the ventricles contract
In which direction do your arteries carry blood?
1. Right ventricle pumps blood into the lungs
2. Left ventricle pumps blood to the aorta
What is the function of capillaries in the body?
- capillaries are where materials are exhanged between the blood and the body's cells. Such as oxygen and glucose
What function does the heart perform?
1. The heart pumps blood throughout the body.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Anatomy and Physiology - TEAS Science | PrenursingSmarterPro TEAS Guide
Circulatory System Study Guide
Circulatory System Study Guide
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
functions of each part of the heart
Parts of the heart