Create an account
To check the slack adjusters on S cam brakes, you should:
Wear gloves and pull hard on each slack adjuster.
To test the low pressure warning signal, you should (3):
* Shut the engine off
* Turn the electrical power on
* Step on and off the brake pedal to reduce air pressure.
To check the air compressor governor "cut in" and "cut out" pressures (3):
* Run the engine at a fast idle
* Pump the brake to reduce tank pressure
* Monitor the air pressure gauge
The governor allows the air to start pumping again when it reaches the cut in level or around:
To test your service brakes you should:
Release the parking brake, move forward slowly and press the brake pedal.
When the safety valve releases air it means that (3):
* The pressure has exceeded 150 psi
* Too much air is in the air compressor
* Something is wrong and you should have it checked by a mechanic
When the low pressure warning is activated, you should:
Bring the vehicle to a safe stop while you still have braking control.
Stab braking occurs when you (3):
* Press on the brake pedal as hard as you can
* Release the brakes when the wheels lock up
* Apply the brakes when the wheels start rolling
Air brakes take longer to stop than hydraulic brakes because:
It takes longer for the air to flow through the lines
Some air brake systems have an alcohol evaporator which helps:
Reduce the risk of ice in the air brake valves during cold weather.
All vehicles with air brakes are required to have a low pressure warning signal. This could be (3):
* A red light
* A wig wag mechanical arm
* A buzzer
Where are the brake drums located (3)?
* Are bolted to the wheels
* At each end of the vehicles' axles
* Hold the brake shoes and linings
When you apply pressure to the brake pedal, you are:
Pushing against a spring and against air pressure to the brakes.
An emergency brake (3):
* Is required on commercial vehicles
* Must be held on by mechanical force
* Could be activated by the loss of air pressure
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together