12 Fire Protection
Terms in this set (38)
How is an engine fire detected?
Dual engine fire detection loops (A & B).
If a single engine fire detection loops fails, is engine fire detection affected?
No. But an ENG LOOP FAULT will appear.
Is the engine nacelle temp on the engine ECAM connected to the Fire Detect Unit?
No, it is not connected to the engine FDU and will not cause an engine fire warning. It is an advisory indication only when the temp reaches a preset limit.
Where are the engine fire loops located?
What are the engine fire warning indications?
2. Both MASTER WARN lights illuminate
3. ENG FIRE on E/WD
4. ENGINE page on Lower ECAM
5. FIRE light adjacent to the ENG master switch
6. ENG FIRE pb illuminates
How is the ENG FIRE panel tested?
Push the TEST pb on the panel -
1. CRC and Master Warning lights
2. ENG FIRE, SQUIB, and DISCH pbs illuminate
3. FIRE light illuminates on the engine panel
4. Engine page is displayed on the lower ECAM
5. E/WD displays a red engine fire warning and blue checklist
How many halon filled fire bottles are located in each engine pylon?
How are the engine fire bottles armed?
Pressing and releasing the ENG FIRE pb
What actions occur when an ENG FIRE pb is pressed?
1. silences the aural warning
2. arms the fire bottle squibs
3. closes the hydraulic fire valve
4. closes the LP fuel and IDG fuel return valves
5. deactivates the engine generator
6. closes the pack flow control and engine bleed valves
** Start from the ENG FIRE pb and work your way down the overhead panel. Each panel has 1 or 2 functions closed or deactivated.
How is an APU fire detected?
Exactly like the engine. Dual fire detection loops (A & B).
When is a fire warning activated in a dual loop detection system?
1. both loops detect fire
2. one loop detects fire and the other loop is faulted
3. both loops fault within approximately 5 seconds
What are the APU fire warning indications?
2. Both MASTER WARN lights illuminate
3. APU FIRE on E/WD
4. APU page on Lower ECAM
5. APU FIRE pb illuminates
How is the APU FIRE panel tested?
Push the TEST pb on the panel and observe -
1. CRC and Master Warning lights
2. APU FIRE, SQUIB, and DISCH pbs illuminate
3. APU page is displayed on the lower ECAM
4. E/WD displays a red APU fire warning and blue checklist
**If APU fire test is done on battery power, the only indications will be the lights on the overhead panel
What occurs with an APU fire indication on the ground?
The APU will automatically shut down and the fire bottle is automatically discharged. The DISCH light on the APU AGENT pb will illuminate.
What are the external indications of an APU fire on the ground?
Red APU FIRE light illuminate on the interphone panel and an external warning horn sounds
How is the APU external warning horn silenced?
1. Releasing the flight deck APU FIRE pb
2. Pressing the APU SHUT OFF pb in the interphone panel
3. When the APU fire is extinguished
How many halon filled fire bottles are dedicated for the APU?
On the ground, what must be ON for the APU fire bottle to discharge?
If the APU was the only power source, the batteries must be ON.
On battery power only, what are the indications of an APU fire?
Red APU FIRE pb.
What is the red disc located on the left aft fuselage adjacent to the APU air intake flap?
APU fire bottle over pressure disc. If it is missing APU fire extinguishing is no longer available.
How is smoke detected in the avionics compartment?
Ionization type smoke detector located just prior to the extract fan. Detects smoke particles, not heat.
How is smoke removed from the avionics compartment?
The ECAM will direct the BLOWER and EXTRACT fans to OVRD. This places the avionics ventilation in the smoke configuration.
- Air conditioned air is added
- Intake fan stops and valves close to isolate the cockpit and cargo bays
- A flap opens on the extract valve allowing smoke to vent overboard
- Extract fan continues
How is smoke detected in the cargo compartments?
Ionization type smoke detectors that detects smoke particles, not heat.
How many smoke detectors are in the forward cargo?
Two located in one ceiling cavity.
How many smoke detectors are in the aft cargo?
Four. Two located in one ceiling cavity and two more located in second ceiling cavity.
When is a cargo compartment smoke warning generated?
1. both detectors in a ceiling cavity detect smoke
2. one detector in a ceiling cavity detects smoke and the other is inoperative
What happens when a cargo smoke warning is received?
2. Master warning lights
3. E/WD red SMOKE (FWD or AFT) CARGO
4. Blue ECAM procedure
5. Red SMOKE on the cargo smoke panel (overhead)
6. Isolation valve closes and extract fan stops
How is the CARGO SMOKE panel tested?
Push the TEST pb and observe -
1. CRC and Master Warnings
2. Both red SMOKE lights on the panel and associated ECAM messages
3. Both amber DISCH lights
Aural and visual warnings appear twice, once for each channel of the SDSU
How many halon filled fire bottles are dedicated to the cargo compartments?
One bottle, shared by both compartments
Will the smoke indications disappear after halon bottle is discharged?
No, with halon and smoke in the cargo compartment, the red SMOKE indication on the cargo smoke panel for an extended period of time.
How long is the halon agent designed to provide fire suppression in the cargo compartments?
Is there anyway for the flight crew to determine aft cargo compartment temperature?
Yes. It is available on the ECAM COND page and the ECAM CRUISE page.
What are two type of false cargo smoke warnings?
1. On the ground with the cargo door open. Exhaust from ground equipment may enter the cargo compartment.
2. Pressurized deicing fluid directly sprayed around degraded cargo compartment door seals.
What must be accomplished prior to opening the cargo compartment after a fire warning?
All pax and crew exit the aircraft and fire services in position and ready.
How is smoke detected in the lavatory?
One ionization type smoke detectors located in the ventilation duct of each lavatory
Is there any indication in the flight deck and cabin when smoke in the lavatory has been detected?
Yes. MASTER WARN lights, ECAM "SMOKE LAVATORY SMOKE" warning. No indication in the cockpit as to which lav is sesnsing smoke.
In the cabin, an amber light pulses next to affect lav door, lav smoke message displayed on FA call panel.
Is there any fire extinguishing provided in the lavatory?
Yes. The trash bin contains a halon fire bottle. If there is a sudden temperature rise in the lav service cabinet, the fire bottle will discharge automatically.
Are there any smoke detectors in the cockpit, galleys or passenger cabin?
No. Therefore, no ECAM actions in the event of cabin smoke.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
California | Drivers Test Study Guide
A320 Aircraft General, Doors & Windows, Oxygen, Emergency Equipment, Lighting
10. Fuel, Hydraulics, Fire A320
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
14 Flight Controls
13 Ice & Rain Protection
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
06 Air Conditioning & Pressurization
08 Fuel System