Create an account
1. average weather conditions in an area over a long period of time
2. Earth's climate used to be much colder
1. distance north or south from the equator
2. as latitude gets further north, climate gets colder; going south, climate gets warmer
1. winds that blow mainly from one direction
2. they affect the amount of precipitation an area gets
1. height of a surface landform above sea level (such as mountains)
2. elevation of mountains affects their climate - the windward side gets much precipitation while the other side stays drier
1. 23.5 degrees north to 23.5 degrees south
2. surrounds equator so climate is always warm because sun is always hitting it at same angle
1. climate: warm/dry season and short periods of rain
2. soil: poor quality, plants need fires to open seeds
1. climate: deciduous - seasons - leaves change color and fall off when cold
2. soil: good because of decaying leaves
1. climate: warm summers/ cold winters
2. soil: best quality of all biomes for growing things
1. climate: long, cold winters/short, warm summers
2. soil: acidic: evergreens can grow (flexible branches and needles are good for shedding snow)
1. long period of climate cooling
2. one theory suggests that the ice age ended when Pangaea broka apart and the continents moved toward the equator
Causes of change in climate
1. asteroid hits earth or volcano erupts, debris blocks sun = cooler climate
2. sun at solar maximum = warmer winds
1. a gradual increase of the average global temperature
2. caused by burning forests, burning fossil fuels for transportation, cutting down trees
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together