Upgrade to remove ads
Ch 18 Env Science
Terms in this set (26)
- Passive solar
1. Use of solar energy that does not require moving parts
- Solar photovoltaics
2. Which of the following converts light directly to electrical current?
- Chemical / electrical
3. Fuel cells directly convert ____ energy into ____ energy
- Wood, charcoal, photovoltaics, animal manure
4. Examples of biomass
5. ____ energy is growing rapidly worldwide, while opportunities for additional __ are much fewer, particularly in highly developed countries.
- Tidal energy
- Geothermal earth
6. ____ is the energy associated with ebb and flow of the ocean, where as ___ is the energy gained from high tempatures deep within the earth.
- ground-effect heat pumps
7. _________ take advantage of constant underground temperatures near earths surface
8. Energy (efficiency/conservation) involves using less energy to accomplish a given task, where as energy (efficiency/conservation) involves taking measures to reduce overall energy use.
- Wash only full loads in the dishwasher
- Unplug Tvs and other appliances when not in use.
9. What is an energy-saving measure for use in homes?
- Heat water
11. The most common use for active solar collection is to
- 80 %
10. Depending on location and design, passive solar heating can save up to ____ of the cost of heating a building.
- Produces toxic by-products during manufacture
12. Which of these is a property of photovoltaic electricity production, but not of solar thermal electricity?
13. A solar thermal electric generator operates LEAST like a ______ power plant
14. True or false: Fuel cells use volatile helium
- Fuel cells can story the energy for later use
15. Which of these is the main advantage to using fuel cells over direct photovoltaic energy?
- Animal waste
16. Best example of biomass fuel?
18. Which of these forms of generating electricity has the highest efficiency (90%) of converting available power to usable electricity
17. Currently, gasoline is augmented with up to 10% ethanol, that is processed from
19. True or False: Most rivers are suitable for hydropower
21. Wind energy produces _____ amounts of carbon dioxide emissions?
- Gravitational forces generated by the moon
22. What is the ultimate source of energy in tidal power?
23. Energy conservation and efficiency practices are _____ to implement than searching for new energy sources.
- Installing "intelligent" thermostats that provide comfort but better control of energy use
24. Which of these is an example of an energy efficient practice, as opposed to energy conservation, by a large business?
- Has great potential for expansion in highly developed countries
20. What is true for wind energy, but NOT for hydropower?
- National Appliance Energy Conservation Act
26. NAECA is an acronym for
- Are high at first but can be recouped later
25. The costs of adding energy efficiency at home
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Ch 16 Env Science
CH 17 Env Science
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Ch. 18: Renewable Energy Resources
Renewable Energy (Ch.18)
APES Ch 15 and 16
APES Ch. 10 Quiz
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Midterm Vocab 1
Med Term Ch 10 Test Review
Test CH 1 MED TERM