Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Vocab list L
Terms in this set (24)
eat a large amount greedily; fill oneself with food.
1. A narrow valley between hills or mountains, typically with steep rocky walls and a stream running through it
2. The throat
3. The neck of a bastion or other outwork; the rear entrance to a fortification
4. A mass of ice obstructing a narrow passage, especially a river
1. (of a person) lean and haggard, especially because of suffering, hunger, or age.
2. (of a building or place) grim or desolate in appearance.
People of good social position, the class of people next below the nobility in position and birth. People of a specified class or group
Noun-an insulting or mocking remark; a taunt.
Verb-make insulting or mocking remarks; jeer.
n - the measurement around the middle of something, especially a person's waist; a band attached to a saddle, used to secure it on a horse by being fastened around its belly.
v - surround; encircle.
1. the force that attracts a body toward the center of the earth, or toward any other physical body having mass. For most purposes Newton's laws of gravity apply, with minor modifications to take the general theory of relativity into account
2. extreme or alarming importance; seriousness.
give (someone) pleasure or satisfaction.
1. shine faintly with a wavering light.
2. a faint or wavering light.
1. Reduce (something, especially food) to small shreds by rubbing it on a grater.
2. Make an unpleasant rasping sound.
1. The recess of a fireplace or furnace.
2. Metal frame confining fuel in a fireplace or furnace.
3. A grating.
(of words or the person speaking them) fluent and voluble but insincere and shallow.
provoke or annoy (someone) so as to stimulate some action or reaction.
drive or urge (an animal) on with a goad.
a spiked stick used for driving cattle.
1. involving or showing violence and bloodshed.
2. covered in blood
1. decorate or embellish (something, especially food).
seize (money, especially part of a person's salary) to settle a debt or claim.
2. A decoration or embellishment for something, especially food.
knobbly, rough, and twisted, especially with age
a piece of living tissue that is transplanted surgically
1. (V) start to lose strength or momentum
2. speak in a hesitant or unsteady voice
3. move unsteadily or in a way that shows lack of confidence
in a careful or cautious manner.
N. an excessively abundant supply of something
V. supply or fill to excess
causing great horror or fear; frightful or macabre.
Verb: be or become wide open. Noun: a wide opening or breach
an excessively greedy eater.
extravagantly bright or showy, typically so as to be tasteless.
a celebratory reunion dinner or entertainment held by a college.
social superiority as demonstrated by genteel manners, behavior, or appearances.
Sets with similar terms
English 12 Vocab List 12
English 12 Vocab list 12
Senior Vocabulary List 12
Vocab List 12
Other sets by this creator
Vocabulary Unit Y
Vocab List W
Vocabulary List O
Vocab List V