What are some of the key characteristics of major ethnic subcultures in America?
Major Ethnic Subcultures in America
1. African Americans
• Tend to drink their coffee with sugar and cream much more than do Caucasians.
• Skin takes on deeper meaning for African Americans.
2. Hispanic Americans
•Young: 34% were younger than age 18 in 2004, compared with 25% of the total population.
•Tend to be brand loyal
• Low degree of acculturation
• Many Hispanic Americans appreciate marketing efforts that acknowledge their cultural heritage.
• Family size tends to be large. The average Hispanic household contains 3.5 people, compared to only 2.7 for other U.S. households.
•Hispanic Households spend 15 to 20% more of their disposable income than the national average on groceries.
• Regard clothing their children well as a matter of pride.
• Products ability to save time are not terribly important to the Hispanic homemaker.
3. Asian Americans
• Very sensitive to design and location of a home.
• Make up the fastest-growing population group.
• Most affluent, best-educated, and most likely to hold technology jobs of any ethnic subculture.
• More likely to buy high tech gadgets.
• Composed of numerous culturally diverse subgroups that use different languages and dialects.
• Most frequent shoppers of all racial and ethnic groups
• The most brand-conscious.
• The least brand loyal.
• Most concerned about keeping up appearances.