Create an account
- the primary vehicle of meaning and communication in a society, language is a system of symbols that represent objects and abstract thoughts
Linguistic Relativity Hypothesis
-A hypothesis, based on the theories of Sapir and Whorf, that perceptions are relative to language
-argues that language influences our perceptions of the world
- The study of the ways in which nonlinguistic phenomena can generate meaning
- nonverbal cultural meanings
- EX: Traffic Lights
-collective ideals and beliefs
-EX: American values : respect everyone, freedom of expression, personal responsibility, human rights.
- Values and Norms distinct from those of the majority, held by a group within a wider society
-Describes sociology's recent emphasis on the importance of understanding the role of culture in daily life
- An approach that attempts to explain the behavior of both animals and human beings in terms of biological principles.
- process in which different cultures are absorbed into a mainstream culture
- the acceptance of a minority group by a majority population, in which the new group takes on the values and norms of the dominant culture
- the process of increased interconnectedness among countries most notably in the areas of economics, politics, and culture
- Cultural Connections
-EX: Improve technologies/Electronic Communications, International Organizations(United Nations), Global Citizens (Managers of Large Corporations), Unified Global Economy, Television/Radio
Types of Norms
NORMS : principles/rules people are suppose to observe
Two Types of Norms
____________________ : manners, étiquette
_____________________: serious rules of conduct; can result in punishment if not obeyed/followed
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together