Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Lit and Writing- literary terms
Terms in this set (40)
what is the time and place in which the events of the literary work occurs?
what is a brief fictional narrative in pros, usually focuses on a single event and only has a few characters?
what is the main idea or message of a story, poem, novel, or a play, general statement about life; may be more than one theme?
what is a type of theme that is directly expressed?
what is the tension that arises from the discrepancy either between what one says and means?
what is a person or force in a society that opposes the central character in a story or a drama?
who is the central character in the story whom the antagonist opposes?
who is an individual in a literary work?
what is a type of character that is central to the sort and ocassionly is fully developed?
what is a type of character that displays few personality traits and are used to help develop the story?
what is a type of character who shows varied and contradictory traits?
what is a type of flat characters or familiar or often repeated type?
what is a type of character that changes during the story?
what is a type of character that remains the same throughout the whole story?
what are the methods a writer uses to reveal the personality of a character?
what is a type of characterization where the writer makes explicit statements about a character?
what is a type of characterization that reveals a character through the words, thoughts, and actions; and what other characters think and say about the character; it is not stated?
what is the struggle between opposing forces in a story or a drama
what is a type of conflict where a character struggles against some outside force?
what is a type of conflict where a struggle takes place within the mind of a character who is torn upon choosing feelings?
what is the sequence of events in a narrative work?
what is a type of literature about real people, places, and events?
who is the person who tells a story; it could be a character?
what is the resolution of the story?
what is the point of greatest emotional intensity, interest, or suspense in a plot?
what is an authors introduction to a characters setting in a novel or a play?
what shows the result of a climax?
what is the part of the plot where complication to the conflict develops and increases the readers intrest?
what is the conversation between characters in a literary work?
what is literature in which situations and characters are invented but the writer?
what is an interruption in chronological ordering of a narrative; it describes an event.
what authors use, clues to prepare readers for events that will happen later in a story?
what is a category for a type of literature?
what is a type of theme revealed gradually through other elements such as plot, character, settings, pont of view, and symbols?
- I enjoy writing but my father wanted me to be a doctor
- I did wood engraving and illustration
- I worked for a children's magazine "st. Nicholas"
- I had failed eyesight but still continued to write
- I wrote "the lady or the tiger" for century magazine
-It was turned into a operetta, play, movie, and recording
- People begged him to reveal the ending, but he refused.
Frank R. Stockton
- I was from north Dakota and my parents worked for the Burea of Indian affairs
- Parents gave her 5 cents for every story she wrote
- she attended Dartmouth College, one of the first women to attend
- Met her husband a professor and has 6 children
- Her stories employed Native American themes
-She wrote "the Leap"
- Her mother never interrupted her daydreaming
- She received a degree in theater arts and studies
- taught at Rutgers, duke, and Spelman college
- worked with activists
- edited an anthology "the black woman"
- died of cancer at age 56
- wrote "blues aint no mockingbird"
Toni Cade Bambara
- born on chinese immigrant parents
- parents had very high expectations
- moved frequently, attended 11 different schools
- age 15 brother and father died from brain cancer
- moved to Europe, returns for college and graduate school
-wrote the joy luck Club
- lived in the coastal south, familiar with hurricanes and weather extremes
- degree from NC state for chemical engineering
-in the army in world war II
-studied music at Julliard and in Rome
- brief opera career then began to work at a bank
- wrote the "scarlet Ibis" for Atlantic Magazine
- french, wealthy family, and grew up with peasants
- served in the Franco Prussian war for three years
- became a government clerk and still wrote
- joined the Parisan literary scene
- published his own work but fell into dept
- wrote 300 stories in ten years
Guy de Maupassant
Sets with similar terms
CP English 9 Literary Terms
Literary Terms Part 2
honors english/ elements of fiction
Other sets by this creator
Lit and Writing- romeo and juliet test
Vocab- unit 13
Spanish- unit 2
Christian Scriptures- chapter 2