Upgrade to remove ads
Slavery and Sectionalism
Terms in this set (11)
What are two ways that slavery was different in Europe before the discovery of the Americas?
-slaves were often skilled or educated
-slaves became slaves from debt, imprisonment, or by birth
Name two reasons Europeans stopped enslaving Native Americans.
- Native Americans have diseases- 50% were killed off after Europe came
- The Church defended them- they were not exposed to Christianity and should convert before
Name three reasons Europeans turned to African slavery?
- Africans were exposed to Christianity- close to Islam- better to enslave
- Easier to dehumanize people who looked different
- There was already an existing slave trade in West Africa
Explain one common justification for slavery and explain how it is flawed.
- Aristotle & Plato said that some people are naturally supposed to be slaves, no one is born to be a slave
Why were most slaves taken from Africa sent to South and Central America, but more slaves lived in North America?
- Because slaves in South and Central America were expected to live no more than 5 years because of the sugar production that was dangerous
Why and how were slaves often punished for not eating on slave ships?
- Slaves were burned if they did not eat because they wanted the slaves to be healthy for when they were sold
How was the economy of the North different from the South?
- The North was economically rooted in industry
- The South was economically rooted in agriculture
Explain the Dred Scott case and its final decision by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Dred Scott sued for his freedom because he thought his time in living in a free state emancipated him
- Final Decision: Court ruled that Scott was still a slave state and had no rights to sue
What was the (Missouri) Compromise of 1820?
Missouri came into the Union as a slave state and Maine came into the Union as a free state
How did California's admission to the union challenge the Missouri Compromise and how did the Compromise of 1850 resolve that challenge?
- It unset the balance of free and slave states, the Compromise of 1850 put California as a free state, The Fugitive Slave Act was amended and the slave trade in DC was abolished
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Westward Expansion/Slavery/Causes of Civil War
Sectionalism: North & South/ Antebellum Reform
Key events leading tension before the Civil War
Civil War Test Study Guide
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Theology of the Church Sem 1 Final
English 2 Spring Final
English Final Review Sem2
Government Final Review