On completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
1. Identify the roles of the four types of word parts used in forming medical terms.
2. Using your knowledge of word parts, analyze unfamiliar medical terms.
3. Describe the steps in locating a term in a medical dictionary.
4. Define the commonly used prefixes, word roots, combining forms, and suffixes introduced in this chapter.
5. Pronounce medical terms correctly using the "sounds-like" system.
6. Recognize the importance of always spelling medical terms correctly.
7. State why caution is important when using abbreviations.
8. Recognize, define, spell, and pronounce the medical terms in