17 terms

The Atmosphere (Quizlet Live)

•Vital functions of the atmosphere include the following: ◦keeps Earth's temperature steady and habitable ◦protects from ultraviolet radiation ◦protects from meteorite impacts ◦provides oxygen for respiration and carbon dioxide for photosynthesis •The atmosphere consists primarily of nitrogen (78%) and oxygen (21%) gases. Together they make up 99% of the atmosphere. •Trace gases make up the remaining 1% of the atmosphere. Trace gases include argon, neon, and hydrogen. •Variable gases, as their n…
STUDY
PLAY

Terms in this set (...)

ozone
is made up of three oxygen molecules and is what protects us from the sun's harmful UV radiation
exosphere
upper limit of the atmosphere where the atoms and molecules blend into space.
ionosphere
a sub-layer of the thermosphere containing ions.
mesosphere
the layer of the atmosphere just above the stratosphere and below the thermosphere. It is the coldest part of the atmosphere and meteors burn up in this layer.
stratosphere
the layer of the atmosphere just above the troposphere and below the mesosphere. There is a temperature inversion due to the ozone layer which absorbs most of the sun's UV radiation.
thermosphere
the layer of the atmosphere above the mesosphere where temperatures are the highest in the atmosphere. The increasing temperature is due to the strong influence of solar activity.
troposphere
the layer of the atmosphere that is nearest to the Earth's surface. It is where most weather changes occur. It is the thinnest layer yet contains half of the Earth's atmosphere.
atmosphere
the envelope of gases surrounding the earth or another planet.
nitrogen
a colorless, odorless unreactive gas that forms about 78 percent of the earth's atmosphere.
oxygen
Oxygen forms about 21 percent of the earth's atmosphere, and is the most abundant element in the earth's crust
carbon dioxide
a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning carbon and organic compounds and by respiration. It is naturally present in air (about 0.03 percent) and is absorbed by plants in photosynthesis
weather
he state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.
altitude
the height of an object or point in relation to sea level or ground level.
greenhouse effect
the phenomenon whereby the earth's atmosphere traps solar radiation, caused by the presence in the atmosphere of gases such as carbon dioxide, water vapor, and methane.
Greenhouse gases
Gases such as carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, water vapor, and ozone in the atmosphere which are involved in the greenhouse effect.
ozone layer
Protective layer in atmosphere that shields earth from UV radiation.
auroras
Sometimes called Northern Lights. It is the result of the emissions of photons in the thermosphere

Flickr Creative Commons Images

Some images used in this set are licensed under the Creative Commons through Flickr.com.
Click to see the original works with their full license.