5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Mexican War 1846
- Mexican Cession 1848
- 50*40' or fight
- Texas War for Independence 1835-36
- Alamo 1835
- a A church located in San Antonio, was the site of a battle between the Mexican and Texan armies. WilliamTravis and 182 Americans were slaughtered by Santa Anna's men. "Remember the Alamo" helped spur the Texan armies to fight the Mexicans.
- b Reffered to a large amount of land given to the U.S. after the Mexican War. This land included present-day Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and California.
- c A war between Texas and Mexico and began after Texas declared its independence from Mexico. The U.S. recongnized the Texas Republic (Lone Star Republic) but did not annex it because the northerners disliked more slave states.
- d Polk sent General taylor and the army to the disputed Texan territory. Talyor waited for a Mexican offensive but he had to provoke Santa Anna to have a battle. This Mexican offensive justified Polks declaration of war against Mexico. The U.S. thoroughly defeated the Mexican armies and was greatly rewarded at the peace treaty at Guadalupe-Hidalgo.
- e The Oregon Territory was at one time jointly occupied by the U.S., Russia, and Spain. Later on, only Britian and the U.S. occupied this territory. A treaty between England and the U.S. in 1846 split the territory at the 49th parrel.
5 Multiple choice questions
- A four-time senator from missouri and headed the military commitee before the Mexican War. His nickname was "Mr. Manifest Destiny" because he strongly advocated American expansion.
- He was a democratic president from Tennesee who was very dedicated to his work, During his presidency, he lowered tariffs, re-established the independent Treasury, and obtained Oregon and California.
- Lord Ashburton from England and Daniel Webster from the U.S. negotiated the border between Maine and Canada in 1842. This treaty gave the U.S. 7/12 of the disputed land and defined the boundries between Lake Superior and Maine.
- In 1837, the American ship Caroline was attacked on the New York shore by British force. In 1841, British officials in the Bahamas offered asylum to 130 Virginia slaves who captured the American ship Creole. The two affairs created alot of tension between the U.S. and Englnad.
- He was an American fur trapper and realator who went to the Oregon Territory to challenge the Hudson Bay Company monopoly on the fur trade and returned to the east bankrupt.
5 True/False questions
Aroostock War 1838 → A war between lumberjacks from the U.S. and Canada over disputed territory between Maine and New Brunswick.
Winfield Scott, Chapultepec 1847 → He campaigned his way to Mexico City via Vera Cruz. Near Mexico City he and his troops fought the final battle of the Mexican war at Chapultepec.
Nicholas Trist → The U.S. and Mexico disputed over the southern boundry of Texas. The U.S. said that the Rio Grande River was the legitimate border, while Mexico argued that the Nueces River was the southern border of Texas. The Nueces River had always been the Texan border, but by demanding the Rio Grande as the border, Texas recieved more land from Mexico.
Empresario System 1825 → Reffered to a large amount of land given to the U.S. after the Mexican War. This land included present-day Utah, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and California.
Antonio Lopez Santa Anna → A war between lumberjacks from the U.S. and Canada over disputed territory between Maine and New Brunswick.