5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Emperor Go-Toba
- Bushido Code
- Sei Shonagon
- 17 Article Constitution
- a code of the warrior; obligation to honor & defend emperor, country, and family; willing to volunteer in suicide missions(kamikaze)
- b 1183-1198 A.D.(years of reign) A Kamakura period emperor.
- c A document written by Prince Shotoku written in the Yamato Period which had Buddhist and Confucian influences.
- d lady in waiting at the heian court. she painted a vivid picture of life at the heian court in her dairy The Pillow Book
- e Ritual suicide or disembowelment in Japan; commonly known in West as hara-kiri; demonstrated courage and a means to restore family honor.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Supreme military commander
- a political and social system that developed during the Middle Ages; nobles offered protection and land in return for service
- A journal written in the Heian period that described court life.
- Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
- a Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army of samurai
5 True/False questions
Kanji → Japanese Characters
Nara Period → Period was between 794 and 1185 A.D. Government consisted of an emperor who had no real power, and the lords of the land- who did have the power. Chinese influence slowed and eventually stopped during this period and Japan began to develop its own culture. The first novel was written during this period (the tale of Genji) as well as the Pillow Book, a journal about court life. Beauty was highly regarded as well. The economy declined in this period, due to war and the rice paddies were controlled by the government.
Kana → a mix of Chinese characters with the original Japanese writing
Ronin → Japanese Characters
Kamikaze → Divine Wind that saved the Japanese from the Mongol invasion.