5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Lady Murasaki
- a Supreme military commander
- b a political and social system that developed during the Middle Ages; nobles offered protection and land in return for service
- c a mix of Chinese characters with the original Japanese writing
- d Woman given credit for writing the world's first novel, The Tale of Genji.
- e a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
5 Multiple choice questions
- The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
- Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
- Period was between 794 and 1185 A.D. Government consisted of an emperor who had no real power, and the lords of the land- who did have the power. Chinese influence slowed and eventually stopped during this period and Japan began to develop its own culture. The first novel was written during this period (the tale of Genji) as well as the Pillow Book, a journal about court life. Beauty was highly regarded as well. The economy declined in this period, due to war and the rice paddies were controlled by the government.
- 1183-1198 A.D.(years of reign) A Kamakura period emperor.
- Divine Wind that saved the Japanese from the Mongol invasion.
5 True/False questions
Tale of Genji → story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel
17 Article Constitution → The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
Pillow Book → Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
Kamakura Period → Period spanning from 1185- 1333 A.D. Feudal Japan began in this period, and the first shogunate was appointed.The Mongols invaded twice but were repelled by Kamikaze Typhoon. Zen Buddhism Flourished and wars drained the economy.
Seppuku → Supreme military commander