5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Yamato Dynasty
- Heian Period
- Bushido Code
- Kamakura Period
- Prince Shotoku
- a Period spanning from 1185- 1333 A.D. Feudal Japan began in this period, and the first shogunate was appointed.The Mongols invaded twice but were repelled by Kamikaze Typhoon. Zen Buddhism Flourished and wars drained the economy.
- b Japanese regent, he was one of Japan's greatest leaders. He was influential in bringing Buddhism and Chinese ideas to Japan. He also wrote the 17 Article Constitiution
- c Period was between 794 and 1185 A.D. Government consisted of an emperor who had no real power, and the lords of the land- who did have the power. Chinese influence slowed and eventually stopped during this period and Japan began to develop its own culture. The first novel was written during this period (the tale of Genji) as well as the Pillow Book, a journal about court life. Beauty was highly regarded as well. The economy declined in this period, due to war and the rice paddies were controlled by the government.
- d code of the warrior; obligation to honor & defend emperor, country, and family; willing to volunteer in suicide missions(kamikaze)
- e Period spanning from 300-710 A.D. Government was influenced by the mandate of heaven and the 17 article constitution was written during this period. The Chinese influenced this period with Buddhism, Confucianism and the Chinese calendar. The economy consisted of Agriculture and trade, as well as a tax system.
5 Multiple choice questions
- story of Prince Genji and his lovers, written by Lady Murasaki Shikibu at end of 11th century, world's first full novel
- Japanese Characters
- A journal written in the Heian period that described court life.
- a mix of Chinese characters with the original Japanese writing
- a Japanese feudal lord who commanded a private army of samurai
5 True/False questions
Zen Buddhism → type of Buddhism that emphasized meditation and self-discipline. Used by the Samurai
Shogunate → The Japanese system of centralized government under a shogun, who exercised actual power while the emperor was reduced to a figurehead.
17 Article Constitution → The shogun for emperor Go-Toba in the Kamakura Period.
Lady Murasaki → a Japanese warrior who was a member of the feudal military aristocracy
Ronin → Supreme military commander