MH CH 2
Terms in this set (14)
mass newspapers two functions
1. sustaining national morale
2. propaganda vehicles
The first newspaper and its date
Leipziger Zeitung - 1660
Date of Stamp Act
Causes of the emergence of mass press
1. removal of duties 2. policy changes 3. changes in economic organization
Changes in economic organization
1. rise of advertising 2. development of newspaper and magazine chains --> press barons
Why did the costs of newspapers to the public go down while the production costs went up?
Because of the growth of advertising
Why were newspapers interesting for advertisers?
1. wide audience 2. audience with sufficient spending power
Name three characteristics of broadsheets.
1. authorativeness 2. comprehensive news coverage 3. emphasis on accuracy
Name four characteristics of tabloids.
1. inexpensive mass-appeal 2. smaller than broadsheets 3. more photographs 4. used particular style of journalism to attract the masses
Characteristics of late 19th century popular newspaper press
1. new approaches to presentation and layout 2. changes in journalistic style 3. shifting priorities in content
New styles of presentation
1. different typefaces 2. new layouts 3. greater use of illustrations
Name two characteristics of yellow journalism.
1. thrives on sensationalism, emotive headlines, pictorial material 2. promotes particular causes that appeal to larger audiences and maximize profit
Name the two main roles of propaganda in a total war.
1. maintain moral among home-front population 2. influence opinion in neutral/enemy countries
Name the five main companies of newspaper production.
1. Associated Press 2. Amalgamated Press 3. Westminster Press 4. Beaverbrook 5. Cadbury groups