MH CH 3
Terms in this set (12)
What is the main difference between film and newspapers?
Newspapers rrach cities, regions and the nation. Film crossed cultural and national boundaries, which made it the basis for global mass culture.
When was the golden age of film?
Why was film seen as a force for cultural integration?
Silent film proved a useful medium for the many immigrants that spoke different languages.
Define the star system and why it is succesful.
The method of creating, promoting and exploiting stars in Hollywood films. Succesful because it guaranteed the quality of the product.
Name the Big Five.
1. Paramount Pictures 2. 20th Century Fox 3. Warner Bros 4. Loew's Inc. 5. Radio-Keith-Orpheum
Name the Little Three.
1. Universal 2. Columbia 3. United Artists
The renting of packages of films.
Why did the US replace France as the leader in the movie industry after 1910?
1. outbreak of WWI in which US was neutral 2. US opened offices in each foreign market which created a global distribution network 3. large American domestic market provided steady revenues 4. diverse American society prepared Hollywood filmmakers to cater to a wide range of audiences
Name the seven concerns regarding Hollywood films.
1. promotion of violence and immorality 2. vulgarity 3. emphasis on wealth and glamour 4. disruptive effect on established social relations 5. unflattering depiction of particular national and racial groups 6. product placement 7. foreignness of American movies
What is MPPDA short for and when was it founded?
Formation of Motion Picture Producers and Distributors of America. 1922
When was the year sound came to film?
Describe the concerns about the moral influence of film.
- believe in film's persuasive qualities - cinema bypassed traditional authority - image as middle-class and immigrant form of entertainment - discovery by filmmakers and producers of great value of violence and sexual arousal in attracting audiences