Get ahead with a $300 test prep scholarship
| Enter to win by Tuesday 9/24
MH CH 6
Terms in this set (12)
Name three purposes of propaganda.
1. strengthen patriotic and nationalist sentiment 2. sustain morale at home 3. wage psychological warfare against the enemy
When is propaganda most effective?
- when people don't have access to multiple sources of information - when people are discouraged from thinking critically
Teaching to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
When began the Russian Revolution?
What were the main tasks of propaganda after the Civil War until 1922 in the SU?
- to persuade the unconverted - to remind those loyal to new regime that revolution and its results were legitimate and sacrifices should be endured for a better future
When did the Five-Year plans start and what were its goals?
1929 - to build socialism in one country - to modernize the SU economy - collectivization of agriculture - rapid industrialization
Stalin's attempt to erase all elements of capitalism in the Soviet Union. The government took all of the farms and put them under state control.
Name two reoccuring propaganda ideas during the 1930s in the SU.
1. radiant future - socialist state of abundance 2. out-of-backwardness - from tsarism to modern, industrialized economy
When did Hitler invade Soviet Union and what is this called?
1941 - Operation Barbarossa
What was the goal of propaganda in SU after Hitler tried to invade it?
The harnessing of a total population to a single-minded war effort against the nazis.
Why was film an attractive medium for propaganda?
- potential to surmount problems of illiteracy and differences in language and culture within SU - tight control over political messages that could be reproduced and exhibited in all parts of the country
What is the only acceptable style of filming called that was implemented in 1932 and what was its characteristic?
socialist realism - glorified ordinary workers as proletarian heroes