MH CH 9
Terms in this set (17)
In what year did weekly movie attendances fall in US?
When did the Supreme Court rule that the film industry its vertical integration constituted of an illegal restraint on trade?
How did the movie industry deal with these adversities?
1. cooperative relationship with the tv networks 2. exploit film's relative advantages thus its technological innovation
When was the Production Code established?
When was the Production Code replaced by the ratings system?
How did Disney remain independent and become a conglomerate?
A strategy of increasing sales by introducing new products into new markets.
Why did the demand for American film rise?
1. growth of home video 2. end of state monopolies in Europe 3. rise of satellite and cable TV 4. proliferation of commercial terrestrial stations
Define proliferation and terrestrial television.
rapid increase - tv signal transmitted by radio waves
Which two factors of cinema remained the same?
1. an oligopoly of firms controls the US film market 2. these also dominate the international film market
Link the press and democracy in a statement.
The press is crucial to an informed citizenry and therefore to the health of democracy.
Name the three characteristics of objective journalism.
1. heavy dependence on official sources of information 2. respect for political authority 3. uncritical acceptance of the statements of government officals
Name two consequences of objective journalism.
1. avoidance of the problems of established poverty and racial inequality in American society 2. unquestioned support for US foreign policy during Cold War and military intervention Vietnam
Name two challenges of TV/news.
1. television network news bulletins increasingly took over the role of breaking news 2. political and cultural change
What was the consequence of the decline of family-run tv companies in the 1970s.
Profit became the only way to measure success.
Name four causes for the decline in news and in coverage of political, social, and economic issues.
1. corporate ownership 2. declining circulations 3. rise of the internet 4. fierce competition for advertising revenues
Name four consequences of the press' growing alignment wiht big business that eroded its public-service role.
1. increasingly frequent sacrifice of journalistic standards to the demands of commerce 2. decline of investigative journalism 3. reduced space for news 4. greater emphasis on popular culture
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
MH CH 2, MH CH 5, MH CH 3, MH CH 4, MH CH 8, MH CH 6, MH CH 9
MH CH 6
MH CH 8
MH CH 4
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
MH CH 2
MH CH 5
MH CH 3