Terms in this set (15)
- freshman at Merryweather High School, Syracuse, New York.
- refuses to speak most of the time(trauma)
- was raped at a party the summer before high school
- people at school hate her because she called the cops at the party
- used to be in the Plain Janes clan (Melinda, Rachel, Ivy, Nicole)
- expresses pain through physical acts, like biting nails and lips
- disconnected from Melinda in that they communicate through notes more than actually speaking
- they do give her art supplies for Christmas, which makes her think they actually notice her
- Art teacher
- assigns Melinda to treee project
- has his own issues with the school board
- the only adult who tries to understand Melinda's pain and encourages her to stand up for what she believes.
- he offers an ear to listen if Melinda ever needs him
- Melinda's biology lab partner
- one of the few students in the school who will speak to her
- she comes to admire him very much for his brilliance and his willingness to stand up for what is right (Mr. Neck)
- also known as IT or Beast or a wolf.
- he is good looking and charming and popular
- tortures Melinda psychologically every time he is near her
- raped Melinda at the party
- dates her ex-best friend, Rachel
Narcissistic(always gets his way through looks and force)
- assaults girls
Heather from Ohio
- a new girl who befriends Melinda at the beginning of the school year
- uses Melinda when she needs her talents so as to become more popular among a clique known as the Marthas
- "breaks up" with Melinda because she is depressed
- Melinda's best friend since elementary school
- she is at the party where Melinda is raped. After Melinda calls the cops and the party is raided, she stops talking to Melinda and leads the way to making the girl an Outcast.
- Melinda tells her what happened through notes in the library, but she doesn't believe her
- Another of Melinda's ex-friends
- she, too, stops talking to her for a while, but sees in their Art class that Melinda is suffering great emotional pain.
- slowly comes to talk to Melinda again through their art class
- hates clowns
- This is the name that Melinda gives her English teacher.
- the kids question her ideas about symbolism in "The Scarlet Letter"
- He is the social studies teacher and coach
- David Petrakis challenges the way Mr. Neck leads a debate about immigration through a lawyer hired by his parents and Mr. Neck is forced to give ground or lose his job.
- has it out for Melinda from the first day of school
- This is Melinda's name for the principal of her school.
- she makes fun of him in her head during the parent meeting with him
- Melinda refers to her as "Warrior Princess"
- she is also one of Melinda's ex-friends
- she is sweet and a jock
- gym teacher that makes a deal with Melinda - if she teaches the Basketball Pole to throw a free throw, she will get an "A" in Gym
clan of hypocritical "helpers" who are really mean and nasty
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson CHARACTER LIST
Speak marking Period 3
English speak Test
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Midterm Vocab Study Guide
History Midterm Study Guide
Spanish Study Guide 2
Spanish Study Guide 1
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Health Study Guide
DNA Organization and Chromosome