Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 25: The Respiratory System
Terms in this set (78)
- Is the complex process by which cells are oxygenated and carbon dioxide is eliminated.
-The exchange of gases between a person's external environment and the body's internal cells.
Gas exchange at the lung level.
Gas exchange at the cellular level.
- Responsible for drawing air into lungs, exchanging oxygen for carbon dioxide and removing CO2 and other gaseous wastes.
- The lungs depends on the cardiovascular system to contribute to the gas exchange and deliver oxygen to body's cells.
Three processes of respiration:
(in the alveoli of the lungs and in the cells of the body)
Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide transportation
(or metabolism, body processes, and waste removal)
Functions of respiratory system
- Gas exchange
- Acid Base balance
- Speech production
*Upper respiratory tract
*Lower respiratory tract
- Passageway for air
- Consists of bone and cartilage
- Divides the internal nose into two sides or cavities
- Nerve endings in the septum and in the nasal passages are responsible for the sense of smell.
- Olfactory nerve (cranial nerve I) carries these nerve impulses to the brain
Functions of nose:
Traps bacteria and foreign debris
・Blood vessels lining nasal passages warm and humidify air
・Olfactory nerve endings in the nasal passages are responsible for smell
・Nasolacrimal ducts from eyes
- Hair-like projections; act as filters to remove some foreign particles to prevent transport to the lungs
-Channels mucus into throat (mucociliary escalator)
- Four cavities found on each side of the nasal area (A total of 8 sinuses)
- Mucosa that is continuous with the nasal mucosa lines these sinuses.
- Lighten the skull and provide resonance for the voice
- Frontal (above the eye socket)
- Maxillary (each side of the nose)
- Ethmoid (between the eyes)
- Sphenoid (each side of nasal cavity in area of
- Air travels from the nose to pharynx (passage for food/air)
- Can be divided into three regions ○ Nasopharynx
Recommended textbook explanations
Anatomy and Physiology
Hole's Human Anatomy and Physiology
David Shier, Jackie Butler, Ricki Lewis
Hole's Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
David N. Shier, Jackie L. Butler, Ricki Lewis
Essentials of Human Anatomy and Physiology
Elaine N. Marieb
Sets with similar terms
Respiratory System Chapter 15
Ch. 25 The Respiratory System
Sets found in the same folder
Chapter 16: The Integumentary System
Chapter 24: The Immune System
Chapter 22: The Cardiovascular System
Chapter 20: The Endocrine System
Other sets by this creator
Chapter 91: Gerontology; The Aging Adult
TERM 1 REVIEW: NURSING FUNDAMENTALS
ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY REVIEW
Chapters 9-14 Development Throughout the Life Cycle
Other Quizlet sets
Psych Test 2 Mr. Pinney
BIOCHEM 415 LECTURE 38 RECOMBINANT DNA TECHNIQUES
Week 10 - Conversion