Terms in this set (14)
a way to organize society without a central government
a code of conduct for the knights
a series of holy wars
why was this time period called the middle ages?
- it connected the fall of rome to the renaissance
- it connected the ancient world to the modern world
who was charlemagne?
- the king of the franks
- crowned holy roman emperor by the pope in 800 AD
what did charlemagne do?
- started a school in his palace
- emphasized education for everyone
- cared for the poor
- revised the legal system and built roads
how was feudalism organized?
- in a pyramid
- kings and lords at the time
- knights protected everyone
- 90% of people were peasants
what were the causes of the crusades?
- to reclaim jerusalem from the muslims
- religious reasons
- military status
What were the effects of the crusades?
- more knowledge about muslims
- realization that they are not devil worshippers😶
- increased trade
- new inventions and ideas
- arabic numerals
what led to the rise of cities?
- improved farming techniques
- new farming technology
- extra food
- peasants being able to buy freedom
what did the magna carta do?
- limited the power of the english king
- lead to a more democratic government
the black death
- bubonic plague
- 1347 to 1351
- killed about 1/3 of europe
- carried by fleas on the back of rats
- lead to major advances in medicine and science (IMPORTANT)
what factors led to the end of the middle ages and the beginning of the renaissance?
- war and famine
- the black death
- peasants earning wages
- humanism grew
- the rise of cities
what is humanism?
the realization that humans can look to themselves for solutions and answers instead of always relying on god
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
the human body
vocab workshop 10
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
west and central africa