Upgrade to remove ads
SOCIOLOGY 1 MIDTERM SHORT ANSWER QUESTIONS: UCLA WINTER 2019
Terms in this set (17)
1. What are the four questions that guide most sociological inquiries?
1. How are things we take as natural actually socially constructed?
2. How is social order possible?
3. Do individuals matter?
4. How can we examine social change?
2. Explain the origins of sociology with reference to significant events (not people).
1. The Industrial Revolution: made people realize the power of the people and their places in society.
2. The American and French Revolution: monarchies to democracies > what is good for society?
3. The Scientific Method: extended to help explain collective activities and relationships of human beings.
3. What are the basic principles of symbolic interactionism, according to Herbert Blumer?
4. What are the four primary elements of Marxism that differentiate it from a non-Marxist approach?
5. What are the four major components of feminism and Feminist Theory?
6. Describe the five characteristics of a science, as explained in the context of the research process.
7. Taking the following research question, what is the dependent variable, independent variable, and a possible extraneous variable: [I will provide a research question on the exam, likely one drawn from lecture]
8. What is a schema and what are the three things it enables us to do?
9. What is dramaturgy and how does it utilize the imagery of a theater to explain impression management?
10. Describe the four main types of nonverbal communication.
11. In the context of socialization, what is the difference between the developmental perspective and the social learning perspective?
12. According to Becker, how do social interactions, or associations with others, influence the way individuals must learn to enjoy the effects of marijuana in order to be socialized into becoming a user?
13. Describe the five characteristics of work that influence or structure our lives.
14. Describe the two different ways we conceptualize the division of labor.
15. Explain the four forms of capitalism we discussed in lecture.
16. What are the main differences between Fordism and post-Fordism?
17. What is the difference between a strike and a lockout? How did unions redress the imbalance of power between workers and employers?
Sets with similar terms
Sociology Ch. 1
Sociology- Test: Chapter 1
Sociology 2001 Chap.1
Other sets by this creator
History 13A Midterm ()
history 13a MIDTERM
midterm (periods process and literary styles)
midterm (terms concepts place)