5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- pre modern anti-Semitism
- bourbon dynasty
- steam engine
- james I
- maria theresa
- a Dynasty in France started by the reign of King Henry IV, powerful and EXTREMELY wealthy, rulers of this Dynasty wanted hegemony (dominant power), wanted to see shift of balance of power
- b the first Stuart to be king of England and Ireland from 1603 to 1925 and king of Scotland from 1567 to 1625 tried to rule as much as possible w/o parliment
- c A machine that turns the energy released by burning fuel into motion. Thomas Newcomen built the first crude but workable steam engine in 1712. James Watt vastly improved his device in the 1760s and 1770s. Steam power was then applied to machinery. (607)
- d This was the queen of Austria as a result of the Pragmatic Sanction. She limited the papacy's political influence in Austria, strengthened her central bureaucracy and cautiously reduced the power that nobles had over their serfs had to fight of prussia as son as she assended the throne
- e jews separated as distinct group of people, religiously and legally
5 Multiple choice questions
- or the Old Regime-the life and institutions of all prerevolutionary continental Europe.
-England to Russia
- Land is divided into strips and worked on by villagers
- Conflict caused by the rival claims for the dominions of the Habsburg family. Before the death of Charles VI, Holy Roman emperor and archduke of Austria, many of the European powers had guaranteed that Charles's daughter Maria Theresa would succeed him.
- a form of government in which the ruler is an absolute dictator (not restricted by a constitution or laws or opposition etc.)
- this dynasty favored the nobles, reduced military obligations, expanded the Russian empire further east, and fought several unsuccessful wars, yet they lasted from 1613 to 1917.
5 True/False questions
the fronde → English philosopher who advocated the idea of a "social contract" in which government powers are derived from the consent of the governed and in which the government serves the people; also said people have natural rights to life, liberty and property.
treaty of utrecht → 1713, ended War of Spanish Succession between Louis XIV's France and the rest of Europe; prohibited joining of French and Spanish crowns; ended French expansionist policy; ended golden age of Spain; vastly expanded British Empire
revocation of edict of nantes → this dynasty favored the nobles, reduced military obligations, expanded the Russian empire further east, and fought several unsuccessful wars, yet they lasted from 1613 to 1917.
english bill of rights → King William and Queen Mary accepted this document in 1689. It guaranteed certain rights to English citizens and declared that elections for Parliament would happen frequently. By accepting this document, they supported a limited monarchy, a system in which they shared their power with Parliament and the people.
streltsy → Guards of the Moscow palace during the Romanov Dynasy who rulers faced the constant threat of mutany from