Upgrade to remove ads
Chapter 9: The Era of Thomas Jefferson Study Guide
Terms in this set (44)
Ran against Jefferson for President.
The number of votes Jefferson and Burr received. The House of Rep. had to decide who would be president.
12 Amendment - 1804
Changed how electors voted. Voted for Pres and Vice Pres separately.
Inauguration of Jefferson
Jefferson kept it simple - less aristocratic.
Ended the tradition to bow to the president.
Limit the Federal Governments Power over states and citizens.
Jefferson's first goal as President.
Government should NOT interfere in the economy.
New Republican Policies (under Jefferson)
1. Reduced number of people in government.
2. Fired all tax collectors
3. Cut the number of U.S. Diplomats
4. Shrunk size of military
5. Eliminated all federal taxes
Most tax revenue came from the tariff on imported goods(since Jefferson eliminated all federal taxes).
The Sedition Act
Jefferson released all imprisoned under the Sedition Act.
The authority of the Supreme Court to strike down unconstitutional laws.
1. Controlled by Spain
2. River Americans in the West relied on for trade/transportation to the East (due to few roads).
The Pinckney Treats
Treaty with Spain that gave the US permission to ship goods down the Mississippi to New Orleans.
15 million Dollars
How much the US paid France for the whole Louisiana Territory.
The Louisiana Territory
1. Acquired for 15 million
2. Almost doubled the size of the US
3. Gave the US control of the Mississippi River
Long and carefully organized journey.
Selected by Jefferson to lead a western expedition.
Selected by Lewis to be his co-leader.
Goals of Lewis and Clark's Expedition
Report info about :
4. other natural features/resources
5. Native Americans
6. Waterway between the Mississippi and Pacific Ocean.
Shoshone Indian who translated/traveled with Lewis and Clark.
1. Explored the southern part of the Louisiana Territory(Spanish New Mexico).
2. Spanish troops arrested Pike because they thought he was a spy.
3. Pike returned to US after several months in captivity.
Money paid to one country in return for protection.
1803 France and Britain
At war with eachother
1803 - 1807 France and US
France seized 500 American ships
1803-1807 Britain and US
1. Britain seized over 1,000 American ships.
2. Was in need of more sailors, so began impressment of American sailors.
Government order that forbids trade.
Embargo Act 1807
1. Ordered by Jefferson
2. Total embargo on American ships sailing to any foreign port.
3. Hurt merchants in New England the most.
Embargo Act 1809
1. Congress repealed the Embargo Act (b/c it was hurting the US economy more than foreign economies).
2. Reopened trade with every country EXCEPT Britain and France.
Became President in 1809
Tecumseh and Prophet
Twin brothers who attempted to unite all tribes east of the Mississippi River.
The Battle of Tippecanoe (1811)
1. US forces(under leadership of WHHarrison) destroyed the NA's
2. Ended any hopes of a united Indian confederacy.
General William Henry Harrison
1. Governor of Indian territory
2. Started The Battle of Tippecanoe
New England Merchants - would hurt their economy the most.
Supported the War of 1812
Financing the War of 1812
1. Congress refused to tax US citizens
2. US had to borrow money from state banks and wealthy individuals.
Reasons US was not properly prepared for War of 1812
1. No money
2. Transportation was difficult due to lack of roads
3. Few men were available for service
4. New England Governors refused to participate in war (unless their state was attacked).
5. Military leaders were old/out of practice
Battle in Canada
1. US was not successful and during their retreat, British army captured 2,000 soldiers.
Battle at Put-n-Bay
1. US was victorious/gained control of Lake Erie
2. British retreated to Canada
War at Sea - US
1. US navy outnumbered
2. By 1813 most US Ships were unable to get out of port due to British blockades.
3. Had to get help from privateers.
War at Sea - Britain
1. More powerful navy; however, had to leave ships in Europe due to fighting France at the same time.
2. Set up very effective blockades that paralyzed US ships.
USS Constitution "Old Ironsides"
Against all odds, defeated the powerful British navy ship and raised American's morale.
Battle of Horseshoe Bend
1. Creek warriors attacked US troops
2. US was victorious and Creeks "agreed" to give US millions of acres of land.
Battle of New Orleans
1. Most famous battle/ended the war
2. Andrew Jackson led US to victory
3. Fighting continued after battle b/c it took weeks to communicate the news across the US territory.
Treaty of Ghent
1. Negotiated from 1814 - 1815
2. Agreed to end fighting
3. Keep same boundaries between US and Canada
Results from War of 1812
1. US gained respect from other countries
2. Native Americans had to surrender land
3. Britain and US became better allies
4. US passed a "Protective Tariff"
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Jefferson, Madison & Monroe
Quarter 3 vocab
American History 1 (Unit 4 Teel)
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
8th grade U.S. History Final
8th grade U.S. History Final
8th grade science final