Upgrade to remove ads
Arts and Humanities
AP Literature Vocabulary (third nine weeks)
Terms in this set (55)
A body of troops stationed in a fortified place.
Full of tumult or riotousness; marked by disturbance and uproar.
Promising success; propitious; opportune; favorable.
Having the property or capability of conducting.
(Especially of goods) being of such nature or kind as to be freely exchangeable or replaceable, in whole or in part, for another of like nature or kind.
Domineering in a haughty manner; dictatorial; overbearing.
Gloomily or sullenly ill-humored, as a person or mood.
To influence by trickery, flattery, etc.; mislead; delude.
A diplomatic agent.
Performed, exercised, received, or suffered in place of another.
To caution, advise, or counsel against something.
Weariness of body or mind from strain, oppressive climate, etc.; lack or energy; listlessness; languor.
To think or meditate in silence, as on some subject.
Of or pertaining to money.
A condition, state, or situation, especially an unfavorable or unfortunate one.
Without contents; empty.
Something a person does in addition to a principal occupation, especially for pleasure; hobby.
Capacity for producing a desired result or effect; effectiveness.
In a dying state; near death.
To make more certain; confirm.
Without distinctive, interesting, or stimulating qualities; vapid.
The quality or state of being wearisome; irksomeness; tediousness.
To persuade by flattery or promises; wheedle; coax.
Extremely irritable or easily angered; irascible.
Ineffective; incompetent; futile.
Having or showing a disposition to avoid exertion; slothful; lazy.
Vulgar or indecent speech, language, etc.; coarsely mocking, abusive, or irreverent; scurrilous.
Strong or vehement expression of disapproval.
To give a false or misleading appearance to; conceal the truth or real nature of.
To eject or expel matter, as phlegm, from the throat or lungs by coughing or hawking and spitting; spit.
1. to occupy (land) in order to establish a prior right to buy.
2. to acquire or appropriate before someone else; take for oneself; arrogate.
3. to take the place of because of priorities, reconsideration, rescheduling, etc.; supplant.
Capable of holding much; spacious or roomy.
To free or release from entanglement; disengage.
Presenting favorable conditions; favorable.
Tremulous fear, alarm, or agitation; perturbation.
An overwhelming quantity or explosion, as of words, blows, or criticisms.
Having cognizance; aware (usually followed by "of").
A secret agreement, especially for fraudulent or treacherous purposes; conspiracy.
Hazy, vague, indistinct, or confused.
A loud, confused noise; a continued loud or tumultuous sound; noisy clamor.
To clear, as of an accusation; free from guilt or blame; exculpate.
Incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government.
Severe in manner of appearance; uncompromising; strict; forbidding
Large or bulky of body; portly; stout; fat
Characterized by or expressing derision; contemptuous; mocking
1. characterized by or given to pretentious or conspicuous show in an attempt to impress others.
2. (of actions, manner, qualities exhibited, etc.) intended to attract notice.
1. zealous; ardent; impassioned.
2. characterized by rancor or anger; violent.
3. strongly emotional; intense or passionate.
1. a subtle difference or distinction in expression, meaning, response, etc.
2. a very slight difference or variation in color or tone.
1. having analogy; corresponding in some particular.
2. corresponding in function, but not evolved from corresponding organs, as the wings of a bee and those of a hummingbird.
1. a representative sent on a mission or errand.
2. an agent sent on a mission of a secret nature, as a spy.
3. sending or coming out, as certain veins that pass through the skull and connect the venous sinuses inside with the veins outside.
1. the state of being happy, especially in a high degree; bliss.
2. an instance of this.
3. a source of happiness.
1. generous in forgiving an insult or injury; free from petty resentfulness or vindictiveness.
2. high-minded; noble.
3. proceeding from or revealing generosity or nobility of mind, character, etc.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
AP Literature Vocabulary (second nine weeks)
AP Literature Vocabulary (first nine weeks)
AP Literature Vocabulary (fourth nine weeks)
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
AP Lang Vocabulary: List 8-12
AP Test Vocab
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Theories Practice 2
Systemic Theories Practice
Practice Theories Exam
Cognitive Psychology 322 Unit 3 Study Guide