Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Civics - Principles of American Democracy
Terms in this set (12)
1. What is the supreme law of the land?
the Constitution of the United States
2. What two things does the US Constitution do?
sets up/defines the government & protects the basic rights of Americans
3. What are the first three words of the Constitution that express the idea of self-government?
We the People
4. What is an amendment?
a change or addition to the Constitution
5. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
The Bill of Rights
6. What are the five rights or freedoms protected by the First Amendment?
religion, speech, the press, assembly, to petition the government
7. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
8. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
announced American independence (freedom from Great Britain)
9. What three inalienable rights are proclaimed in the Declaration of Independence?
life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness
10. What is freedom of religion?
a person may practice any religion, or not practice a religion
11. What is the economic system in the United States?
12. What is the "rule of law?"
everyone must follow the law, including government leaders; no one is above the law
Sets with similar terms
Principles of American Democracy
Section 3 of US Citizenship Test
100 Citizenship Test Questions
A. Principles of American Democracy
Other sets by this creator
Unit 12 Latin - Honors LA10
Unit 12 Vocab - Honors LA10
The Nature of Solutions
Unit 11 Latin - Honors LA10