Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
SOC 152A MIDTERM 2 REVIEW
Terms in this set (69)
sexual arousal at the thought of being a woman
the infliction and acceptance of pain or humiliation as a means of sexual arousal
sexual arousal by the INFLICTION of pain, bondage, or humiliation on others, or by witnessing the recipient's suffering
sexual arousal from being SUBJECTED to pain, bondage, or humiliation
bondage, dominance (or discipline), and sadomasochism
fetish focusing on a part of the body
fetish directed towards materials
fetish involving inanimate objects
fetish to being crushed or crushing objects/animals
obtain sexual satisfaction from acting as a baby.
those who socialize in animal costumes
Persistent, intense sexual desire or behavior that is uncommon or unusual (fetishes)
paraphilia that causes distress or harm to others, justifying clinical intervention
exposing genitals to nonconsenting persons
sexual arousal from making obscene telephone calls.
Sexual arousal from watching persons while they are undressing, naked, or engaging in sex.
touching/rubbing genitals against unconsenting strangers, often without their knowledge.
persistent sexual feelings directed towards prepubescent children (generally <11 years old)
adult who is sexually attracted to those going through puberty (11-14)
Child molester (sex offender)
adult who has had sexual contact with a prepubescent child
Intra-familial child molester
These offences reflect the modern family unit and take account of situations where someone is living within the same household as a child and assuming a position of trust or authority over that child, as well as relationships defined by blood ties, adoption, fostering, marriage or living together as partners.
extra familial child molester
persons not in the family
preference for sexual contact with animals
sexual contact between a person and an animal
sexual arousal from viewing or having sexual contact with dead bodies
self strangulation for the purpose of sexual arousal
a law requiring authorities to notify communities of the whereabouts of convicted sex offenders. It was first enacted by New Jersey in 1995.
What causes paraphilia
1. Biological factors
2. Classical Conditioning (pavlov)
3. Courtship disorder
4. May represent a sexual escape route
5. Cycle of abuse
Behavioral approaches to fixing Paraphilia
Aversion therapy— eliminate unwanted desires by associating them with unpleasant experiences Masturbatory reconditioning - changing sexual attraction by controlling fantasy content during masturbation
Psychotherapeutic Approaches to fixing paraphilia
1. Cognitive therapy - attempts to correct paraphiliac's way of thinking removes blockages to normal sexual expression (work on building social skills)
2. Relapse prevention therapy - learning to cope with triggers of undesirable behaviors 3. Good lives model - for sex offenders to focus on improving their ability to achieve broad range of life goals
4. COSA (circles of support and accountability) -community support for released sex offenders
Drug Treatments (Biological Approaches) to fixing paraphilia
1. Drugs used to decrease sexual desires, cannot cure disorders
2. SSRIs (antidepressants) - used to decrease sexual behavior
3. More extreme cases decreases testosterone levels
a. "chemical castration"
Castration (as a means of fixing paraphilia)
1. In men, removal of testicles
a. Controversial method
2. Could be more effective than other treatments for the prevention of sexual recidivism
broad term encompassing all individuals whose anatomy does not match their gender identity
sub group of transgendered people who wish to change their body into that of other sex by medical means (hormone therapy, sexual reassignment surgery)
unhappiness due to discord of anatomical sex and gender identity
female to male transexuals
male to female transexuals
are attracted to the idea of being a woman
multistage process of sex reassignment
Stages of transitioning
1. Psychological evaluation
2. lives in community (for 1-2 years) as a member of the other sex to see if they can live in the desired gender role
3. Hormone therapy
4. Sex reassignment surgery aka "confirmation surgery"
5. Follow ups.
Includes situations when sexual interaction is already occurring and consent is revoked, but one person continues sexual penetration against the other's will
includes date rape and any rape where the perpetrator is known to the victim
"cold-to-hot empathy gap"
as people are more sexually aroused, they pay more attention to their sexual desires and ignore moral issues more
Rape trauma syndrome (PTSD)
include self-blame and flashbacks
recalling traumatic event in safe environment
Rape shield laws
protect rape victims (e.g. by limiting the introduction of evidence about their prior sexual behavior)
Why do men rape
1. Evolutionary roots
2. social forces
3. control women
4. characteristics of rapists
depression associated with failure to escape intimate partner violence
Unwanted sexual advances or other intimidating sexual behavior
Quid pro quo ("what for what?")
unwelcome sexual advances followed by promises or threats
Hostile work environment
pattern of unwelcome sexual attention that makes life difficult for the victim
indirect negative effects as a result of the harassment of others
Types of stalking
1. Obsessive relational intrusion- obsessive pursuit of a person by a rejected lover
2. Delusional stalking "erotomania"- stalker has fixed belief that the victim is in love with him or could easily be made to fall in love with him
3. Grudge stalking- pursuing victim to seek revenge for some actual or imagined injury
itching, pain, burning when urinating, and discharge.
Chlamydia can cause...
sterility, Pelvic Inflammatory disease (PID). and ectopic pregnancies
How to cure Chlamydia
Main cause of genital warts
How to treat genital warts
chemicals, freezing, laser surgery
Prevents HPV for at least five years
Herpes 1: "cold sores" in mouth
Herpes 2: genital sores
Having Herpes when giving birth can cause...
Blindness, brain damage, and death
From sex, 3 shot vaccine to prevent
Contracted from feces if you do oral-anal sex, or eat food prepared by infected person. 2 shot vaccine can protect you.
painful/cloudy urination and discharge/pus or cloudy fluid from penis. Most women dont have symptoms.
Caused by HPV, stands for Acquired Immune Deficiency syndrome. Weakens immune system.
Medicine that helps AIDS symptoms
Protease inhibitors= AZT and 3TC
Cure for AIDS?
What causes pre mature Ejaculation
1. Kaplan's definition- Males does not have control over the timing of ejaculation.
2. 1-2 min- male is stimulated too fast
3. If male is young
4. Male has only had sex a few times
5. hasn't had sex in awhile
squeeze slows time to orgasm, man learns bodily feelings and control
Sets with similar terms
HLTH 251 TEST 4
Soc 152a Midterm 2 UCSB
Chapter 13: Sexual Disorders
Other sets by this creator
Mindfulness Midterm: PSY 121
Noninfectious disease final
people of non-infectious diseases
Other Quizlet sets
Lecture Notes: Paraphilias
Variations in Sexual Bahvior
Human Sex Midterm 2 pt 2
Human Sexual Behavior CH 14, 15, 16