PET Writing Part 1: Sentence Transformations
Terms in this set (279)
1) She is better at tennis than any other sport.
Tennis is her __________ sport.
2) Water is better for you than fizzy drinks.
Fizzy drinks aren't ___________ for you as water.
3) Magazines can be bought in this shop.
You ____________ magazines in this shop.
4) Sarah plays the violin very well.
Sarah is really __________ playing violin.
5) There are only a few parks in my neighbourhood.
There aren't very ___________ parks in my neighbourhood.
6) There are only a few cars in the car park.
There aren't ___________ cars in the car park.
7) He plays the guitar really well.
He's really _________ playing guitar.
8) If you want to drive a car, you need a driving licence.
You can't drive a car _________ you have a driving licence.
9) When she was young, she loved playing with Barbie.
She ________ love playing with Barbie when she was young.
10) There are six bedrooms in that house.
The house _______ six bedrooms.
11) I prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla.
I like chocolate ice cream __________ vanilla.
12) She took a long time to decide what to eat.
She spent a long time ___________ what to eat.
13) He was taught how to drive by a very good teacher.
The teacher _______ taught him how to drive was very good.
who / that
14) He was taught how to drive by a very good teacher.
A very good teacher __________ how to drive.
15) They run because they want to get fit.
We want to get fit, _____ we run.
16) He doesn't enjoy sports, but he cycles every day.
_________ he doesn't enjoy sports, he cycles every day.
Although / Though / Even though
17) We prefer P.E. to Language.
We like P.E. _________ Language.
18) It is a good idea to do exercise.
Everybody __________ do exercise.
should / ought to
19) Living in France is more exciting than going there on holiday.
Going on holiday to France isn't as _________ living there.
20) You can only be a teacher if you have a degree.
You can't be a teacher _________ you have a degree.
21) The moment he started living in France, his French improved.
His French improved as __________ he started living in France.
22) Cooking is not easy.
It is _____________ to cook.
difficult / hard
23) We're too young to drive a car.
We aren't ______________ to drive a car.
24) You should stop playing and do your homework.
If I were you, ________ stop playing and do my homework.
I would / I'd
25) He doesn't read much now but when he was a kid he loved it.
He ____________ read a lot when he was a child.
26) I prefer playing football to reading books.
I like playing football __________ reading books.
27) They made these boots in America.
These boots ___________ in America.
28) This toy was made in China.
They __________ this toy in China.
29) He finds maths boring.
He is ____________ by maths.
30) She sings better than anyone else.
She is ____________ singer.
31) It's too cold for swimming.
It isn't warm _____________ for swimming.
32) There is a bar in that restaurant.
That restaurant _______ a bar.
33) She must not smoke in the library.
She is not ____________ to smoke in the library.
34) Only girls can use this changing room.
You can only use this changing room ______ you are a girl.
35) Only girls can use this changing room.
You can't use this changing room ______ you are a girl.
36) The book was very boring.
It was ______ very interesting book.
37) The book was so boring that I couldn't read it.
It was _________ boring book that I couldn't read it.
38) When she was young, her family was rich.
Her family _______ be rich when she was young.
39) My friend asked me if I was ready.
My friend said, "_____ ready?"
40) When I was young I enjoyed swimming.
I ____________ enjoy swimming when I was young.
41) You can't play chess unless there are two players.
You can only play chess ____ there are two players.
42) The game is called chess.
The name _______ game is chess.
43) You can go together or by yourself.
You can go together or on ____________.
44) My parents and I enjoyed the film.
I enjoyed the film and so ________ my parents.
45) My sister said that she had never played chess.
My sister said, "I ___________ played chess."
46) Would you like to play chess now?
Shall __________ chess now?
47) Would you like to play chess now?
Do you fancy ___________ now?
48) David has lent me a very good bike.
I have _________ a very good bike from David.
49) Food in supermarkets is cheaper than in small shops.
Food in supermarkets costs _________ than in small shops.
50) His sister won the match last week.
Last week's match ___________ by his sister.
51) "You've done very well," said Maria's mother.
Maria's mother told her she ___________ very well.
52) Water is cheaper than wine.
Wine is not __________ as water.
53) The red car belongs to David.
David ____________ the red car.
54) Our library lends books to everybody.
Anybody can ________ books from our library.
55) We can only go out later if we finish our work.
We can't go out later _______ we finish our work.
56) I asked her how much the book cost.
I asked her, "How __________ the book cost?"
57) Lucy is often driven to school by her aunt.
Lucy's aunt often __________ to school.
58) You had a better mark than him.
He had a ___________ mark than you.
59) Jackie's heavier than she was two years ago.
Jackie has put _________________ in the last two years.
60) Jason adds up figures well for someone his age.
Jason is _________________ up figures for someone his age.
good at adding
61) Jane continued to work for the firm after the baby was born.
Jane went _________________ for the firm after the baby was born.
62) She had no intention of insulting you.
She didn't _________________ you.
mean to insult
63) I have no objection to Paul coming as well.
I don't _________________ comes as well.
mind if Paul
64) Predicting the weather is sometimes difficult.
It can be hard _________________ the weather.
65) I haven't got enough money to buy a new car.
I can't _________________ a new car.
afford to buy
66) Do you want us to postpone the meeting?
Shall _________________ off the meeting?
67) Emma is excited about going to Greece on holiday.
Emma is looking _________________ to Greece on holiday.
forward to going
68) It's getting easier for me to get up early.
I am getting _________________ up early.
used to getting
69) I couldn't hear what he said because of the noise.
The noise _________________ from hearing what he said.
70) It is impossible to sit on the grass becuse it is too wet.
The grass isn't _________________ sit on.
dry enough to
71) I haven't got any cigarettes left.
I've run _________________ cigarettes.
72) Mandy's boss doesn't let her leave work early.
Mandy _________________ to leave work early.
is not allowed
73) I'm not sorry I chose nursing as a career.
I don't _________________ nursing as a career.
74) 'Do you know where Tony is?' I asked my brother.
I asked my brother if he knew ______________ .
where Tony was
75) My house is being painted at the moment.
I am _________________ painted at the moment.
having my house
76) Have you decided what you would like for dinner?
Have you made _________________ what you would like for dinner?
up your mind
77) The plane left on time although the weather was bad.
The plane took _________________ although the weather was bad .
off on time
78) Some people have complained about the noise.
There _________________ complaints about the noise.
have been some
79) A holiday in Forida is cheaper than one in California.
A holiday in Florida is _________________ as one in California.
not as expensive
80) The last time I saw Alex was at Jade's party.
I haven't _________________ Jade's party.
seen Alex since
81) My brother was always on time until he got friendly with Jack.
My brother never _________________ late until he got friendly with Jack.
used to be
82) The film was so boring that I fell asleep half way through it.
It was _________________ film that I fell asleep half way through it.
such a boring
83) They've postponed the wedding until the spring.
The wedding _________________ off until the spring.
has been put
84) The concert was very popular so they're going to put on a repeat performance.
It was __________________ concert that they're going to put on a repeat performance.
such a popular
85) The book was so interesting that I couldn't put it down.
It was _________________ book that i couldn't put it down.
such an interesting
86) Some older people are finding it difficult to adjust to digital technology.
Some older people can't _______________ to digital technology.
87) Someone has just informed me that you're looking for a new job.
I _________________ informed that you're looking for a new job.
have just been
88) The last time I saw my sister was three years ago.
It's been three years _________________ my sister.
since I saw
89) In some jobs, men are paid more than women for the same work.
In some jobs women are not paid as _________________ for the same work.
much as men
90) None of my classmates enjoys mathematics as much as I do.
I enjoy mathematics ______________ any of my classmates.
91) I borrowed a very interesting computer game from my cousin.
My cousin ______________ a very interesting computer game.
92) The ticket for the circus performance was cheaper than I'd expected.
The ticket for the circus performance wasn't ________________ I'd expected.
as expensive as
93) I liked the clowns best, and my little sister did too.
I liked the clowns best, and _________did my little sister.
94) 'Who does this bag belong to?' my mother asked.
My mother asked,'________ is this bag?
95) We stayed until the circus closed.
We ______________ leave until the circus closed.
96) It doesn't matter to me if a film is dubbed or subtitled.
I don't ______ if a film is dubbed or subtitled.
97) The cinema isn't far from the centre.
The cinema is quite _________ the centre.
near (close to)
98) I finished this book in only three days.
It only __________ three days to finish this book.
99) He asked my brother where his bike was.
He asked my brother, 'Where ___________ ?'
is your bike
100) He is often given bottles of wine as presents.
People often ___________ bottles of wine as present.
101) He succeeded in repairing the bike on his own.
He was able ___________ the bike on his own.
102) Peter and his friends went cycling every day.
Every day Peter went cycling and ____________ his friends.
103) The weather was better than they had expected.
The weather wasn't __________ they had expected.
as bad as
104) I'm better at languages than any other subject.
Languages are my ____________ subject.
105) Fish is better for you than meat.
Meat isn't __________ for you as fish.
106) Snacks can be bought in the café.
You _____________in the café.
107) He can cook really well.
He's really __________ cooking.
108) There are only a few good restaurants in this area.
There aren't very ________ good restaurants in this area.
109) I haven't been to a concert for a long time.
It's a long time since __________ a concert.
I went to
110) Why don't you learn to play a musical instrument?
If I were you, _______ learn to play a musical instrument.
111) If you don't play the piano every day, you won't improve.
You won't improve unless____________ the piano every day.
112) There are only a few concerts this month.
There aren't very _________ concerts this month.
113) This room is too small for us to play music in.
This room isn't __________ for us to play music in.
114) The Globe is more famous than most other theatres.
Most other theatres are not _______ The Globe.
as famous as
115) Many of Shakespeare's plays are shown at The Globe Theatre.
The Globe Theatre _______________ many of Shgakespeare's plays.
116) The globe Theatre does not have a roof.
There ________ roof on The Globe Theatre.
117) The hotel has got two restaurants.
There ________________ two restaurants in the hotel.
118) I bought this car six months ago.
I ________________this car for six months.
119) I've known Jill for ten years.
I first ________________Jill ten years ago.
120) They arrived 10 minutes ago.
They________________ here for 10 minutes.
121) He's been a member of the tennis club for two years.
He ________________ the tennis club two years ago.
122) Italy's been a Republic since 1946.
Italy________________ a Republic in 1946.
123) We spent two hours writing the letters.
It ________________us two hours to write the letters.
124) It took me three hours to repair the car.
I ________________ three hours repairing the car.
125) We left when it stopped raining.
We didn't leave ________________ it stopped raining.
126) We didn't spend much money.
We only spent ________________ money.
127) There were only a few people at the meeting.
There ________________people at the meeting.
128) "Why don't we go to the cinema?" said Jane.
Jane ________________to the cinema.
129) You should buy a new car.
You ________________ to buy a new car.
130) How much does a three-bedroomed house cost?
What is ________________ of a three-bedroomed house.
131) I sent him an email because I wanted to tell him about the party.
I sent him an email ________________ order to tell him about the party.
132) I've never read such a good book.
This is ________________book I've ever read.
133) I've never had such a good meal.
That was the best meal I've ________________
134) There are more people here than yesterday.
There weren't ________________. people here yesterday as there are today.
135) I like Mary better than Jane.
I don't like Jane ________________ as Mary.
136) My son doesn't read as much as my daughter.
My daughter reads ________________ my son.
137) I haven't read a good novel for a long time.
It's a long time ________________ I read a good novel.
138) Why don't you borrow a book from the library.
If I were you, I ________________ borrow a book from the library.
139) I think that history books are more interesting than novels.
I think that novels are not _________________ history books.
as interesting as
140) There aren't many history books in my local library.
My local library has only a ________________ history books.
141) My brother is too young to read computer books.
My brother isn't ________________ to read computer books.
142) The owner of the new restaurant is a very rich man.
The new restaurant ________________ to a very rich man.
143) The Bluebell was designed by a famous architect.
A famous architect ________________ The Bluebell.
144) The Bluebell is more comfortable than other restaurants in the area.
Other restaurants in the area are not so _____________the Bluebell.
145) Janet got a new MP4 player three weeks ago.
Janet _____________ her new MP4 player for three weeks.
146) Janet was given the new MP4 player by her uncle.
Janet's uncle _____________ her the new MP4.
147) Jason's new netbook was cheaper than his old PC.
Jason's old PC was __________ than his new netbook.
148) Harry hadn't finished listening to a song when the doorbell rang.
Harry _____________ still listening to a song when the doorbell rang.
149) Simon never goes anywhere without taking his mobile phone. Simon takes his mobile phone _____________ he goes.
150) There are English and French dishes on The Bluebell's menu.
The Bluebell ______________________ got English and French dishes on its menu.
151) Meal prices at The Bluebell will change on 30 August.
Meal prices at The Bluebell will be the same _______________ 30 August.
152) The new sports centre has been open for a month.
The new sports centre _________________________ a month ago.
153) We spent an hour driving to the centre.
It took us an hour ___________________________
154) The car park had three lifts.
There were three lifts ________ the car park.
155) The centre was so big that we got lost in it.
We got lost in the centre _________ it was so big.
156) It was 5.30 pm when we left the centre.
We didn't leave the centre ___________________ 5.30
157) Our trip to the new sports centre was enjoyable.
We _____________________ our trip to the new sports centre
158) I was given a new digital camera for my birthday by my grandfather.
My grandfather ___________ a new camera for my birthday.
159) So far, I I've only taken a _________ photos with my new camera.
So far,haven't taken many photos with my new camera.
few (couple of, small number of)
160) My uncle asked me if I would show him my new laptop.
My uncle said, "Please, would ______________ your laptop?"
you show me
161) He suggested trying a different operating system.
He said, "Why ____________ try a different operating system?"
not / don't you / don't we
162) It would be good if I went on a computer course.
I really ought __________ on a computer course.
163) My father is finding out how much a four-week computer course costs.
My father is finding out the __________ a four-week computer course.
cost of / price of
164) I haven't been to a concert for a long time.
It's a long time since I ____________a concert
165) Why don't you learn a musical instrument?
If I were you, ________________learn a musical instrument.
166) If you don't practise the piano every day, you won't improve.
You won't improve unless ____________ the piano every day
167) There are only a few concerts this month.
There aren't very _____________ concerts this month.
168) This room is too small for us to play music in.
This room isn't ________________ for us to play music in.
169) I prefer playing the guitar to playing the piano.
I like playing the guitar ________________ playing the piano.
170) It took them a long time to decide which concert to go to
They spent a long time ___________ which concert to go to
171) Peter is taller than Jermaine.
Jermaine isn't ________________ Peter.
as tall as
172) The concert is free.
You _________ pay to get into the concert.
don't have to
173) It is compulsory to carry an ID card.
You __________ to carry an ID card.
174) Smoking is forbidden here.
You ____________ smoke here.
175) Would you like another drink?
Do you ________________ another drink?
176) Do you want to play cards? .
________________ you like to play cards?
177) "I won't be late."
She said she ________________ be late.
178) "I can't swim."
She told me she ________________ swim.
179) "I've never been to London."
He said he ____________ never been to London.
180) "What's your name?"
He asked the girl what ________________.
her name was
181) "Stand up, please."
The teacher told the class ________________ .
to stand up
182) "Don't speak Spanish."
The teacher told the class ______________ Spanish.
not to speak
183) "Where do you live?"
He asked the girl where ________________
184) Someone showed me the letter.
I ________________ the letter.
185) This book was written by my aunt.
My aunt ________________ this book.
186) It was too hot to go for a walk.
It was _________ we didn't go for a walk.
so hot that
187) He isn't old enough to drive a car.
He is ________________to drive a car.
188) I don't have enough money to go on holiday this year.
I ________________ to go on holiday this year.
189) A mechanic repaired my car last week.
I ____________ repaired last week.
had my car
190) If she doesn't invite me, I won't go to the party.
I won't go to the party ____________ she invites me.
191) Is that your book?
Does that book ________________ you?
192) Jim lent Pete some money.
Pete ________________some money from Jim.
193) Would you like me to help you?
____________ help you?
194) Carrie arrived at the airport two hours ago.
Carrie ___________ at the airport for two hours.
195) He had a really old computer before.
He ____________ have a really old computer.
196) Maria isn't as tall as her sister.
Maria is ___________ her sister.
197) One of my friends gave me this book.
A friend ____________ gave me this book.
198) Magazines are sold in that shop now.
That shop _____________ magazines now.
199) There is a big swimming pool at the sports centre.
The sports centre _____________ a big swimming pool.
200) It was such a good cake they bought another one.
The cake was _____________ they bought another one.
201) Her English won't improve if she doesn't practise.
Her English won't improve ________________ practises.
202) It was the first time Bob had been to the Science Museum.
Bob _______________ to the Science Museum before.
had never been
203) Beth suggested joining a dance class.
Beth said: "Why ______________ join a dance class?"
204) They like rock more than pop music.
They ________________ to pop music.
205) You can't smoke in the library.
You are ______________ to smoke in the library.
206) Susan lent me her blue pullover.
I ____________Susan's blue pullover.
207) Jason is too careless to drive that car! Jason isn't ________________ to drive that car!
208) Last year the King School had more than 500 students.
Last year there _______________ more than 500 students.
209) I asked at Reception about the price of a conversation course. I asked at Reception : ,How much ______________________ a conversation course cost?'
210) The coursebook is included in the price of the course.
The price of the course _________________ the coursebook.
211) All the other schools in town are more expensive than the Kings School.
The King School is the ___________________ expensive of all schools in town.
cheapest (least expensive)
212) Students are not allowed to attend classes if they have not paid the fee.
Students are not allowed to attend classes ________ they have paid the fee.
213) People say there is no other castle as interesting as this one in Europe.
People say that this is _____________ castle in Europe.
the most interesting
214) The castle opened to the public last year.
The castle ___________ open to public since last year.
215) Students are allowed to visit the castle without paying anything.
Students _____________ have to pay anything to visit the castle.
216) Visitors are always met at the door by the owner, Mr Brandon.
Mr Brandon, always ___________ visitors at the door.
217) I asked Mr Brandon if he lived in the castle when he was a child.
I asked Mr Brandon : ' ___ live in the castle when you were a child?'
218) My friend suggested we went to a music festival together.
My friend said: "Why _______________ we go to a music festival together?
219) I had never been to a music festival before.
It was the ________ that I had ever been to a music festival.
220) The tickets were cheaper than we expected.
The tickets weren't as _________________ we had expected.
221) My brother lent us a tent, as it was a two-day festival.
It was a two-day festival, so we ________ a tent from my brother.
222) The camping area was near to the main stage.
The camping area wasn't ______ the main stage.
223) We watched some bands in the rain but we didn't mind.
We didn't mind __________ some of the bands in the rain.
224) I can't wait to go to the festival again next year.
I'm looking _____________ going to the festival again next year.
225) You can't play Monopoly unless there are at least two players.
You can only play Monopoly ______ there are at least two players.
226) You can play Monopoly on a team or by yourself.
You can play Monopoly in a team or on _______ own.
227) I enjoy the game, and my parents enjoy it too.
I enjoy the game and so ____ my parents.
228) I like chocolate, and my sister likes it too.
I like chocolate, and so _____ my sister.
229) I am a fan of Real Madrid, and my uncle is, too.
I am a fan of Real Madrid, and so ______ my uncle.
230) I eat an apple every day, and my teacher eats one too.
I eat an apple every day, and so ______ my teacher.
231) My friend said that she had never visited New York.
My friend siad, "I __________ visited New York."
232) My mum said she had seen my uncle at the shop.
My mum said, "I ____________ uncle at the shop."
have seen your
233) My friends told me they weren't going to go to the park.
My friends said, "We _______ going to go to the park".
234) My friends said they hadn't finished their homework.
My friends said, "We ________ finished our homework."
235) What about playing the game now?
Shall ____________ the game now?
236) Shall we go to the park now?
What ________ going to the park now?
237) Shall we go to the park now?
Let's _______ the park now.
238) I have nothing in my pocket.
I don't have _________ in my pocket.
239) I don't see ________ in the box.
I see ____________ in the box.
240) The sign says nothing about the shop's opening hours.
The sign doesn't say _____ about the shop's opening hours.
241) People are usually taller in the USA than in Spain.
Spanish people are not as ______ people in the USA.
242) The toilets must be cleaned every day by the cleaning staff.
The cleaning staff must ______ the toilets every day.
243) Mobile phones must not be brought to school by children.
Children mustn't __________ mobile phones to school.
244) Each building has 10 flats.
In each building _______ are 10 flats.
245) The city has about 20 parks.
In the city _______ are about 20 parks.
246) People can't take dogs into most restaurants.
At most restaurants, ________ possible for people to take their dogs inside.
247) At most museums, it isn't possible for people to carry large bags with them.
People ________ carry large bags inside most museums.
248) The wedding was celebrated in a garden.
The wedding ______ place in a garden.
249) This is Mary's favourite book.
Mary likes this book ___________ any other book.
250) Dolphins are my favourite marine animal.
I like dolphins _________ any other marine animal.
251) Sergio has never travelled to Italy before.
This is the _________ that Sergio has travelled to Italy.
252) This is the first time I've been on a plane.
I ______ been on a plane before.
253) I use my computer for writing emails to friends.
I use my computer _____ write emails to friends.
254) She went to the post office because she wanted to pick up a parcel.
She went to the post office _____ pick up a parcel.
255) They use their notebooks for doing exercises.
The use their notebooks to ______ exercises.
256) Maria likes watching music videos on YouTube, and all her friends do too.
Maria likes watching music videos on YouTube, and _____ do all her friends.
257) Elena was shown how to do a magic trick by Adrián.
Adrián ______ Elena how to do a magic trick.
showed / taught
258) The pizza was eaten by everyone in the class.
Everyone in the class ______ the pizza.
259) The students were shown what to do in case of fire by the teachers.
The teachers _______ the pupils what to do in case of fire.
260) The pupils were shown how to make a basket by an elderly man.
An elderly man ________ the pupils how to make a basket.
showed / taught
261) I began playing basketball 4 years ago.
I've been playing basket ball _____ 4 years.
262) I live quite near the school.
I don't live very ______ the school.
263) She goes to an academy that isn't far from her house.
She goes to an academy that is quite _____ her house.
264) I brush my teeth in 5 minutes.
It _______ me 5 minutes to brush my teeth.
265) She walked to school in 4 minutes' time.
It ______ her 4 minutes to walk to school.
266) I've finished this art project in 4 days' time.
It has _________ me 4 days to finish this art project.
267) I have an important exam today in English class.
There _____ an important exam today in my English class.
268) His football team had a match yesterday.
There ____ a match yesterday for his team.
269) It's too hot to play football.
It isn't cool ______ to play football.
270) She's too young to watch this film.
She isn't old ______ to watch this film.
271) You're not old enough to vote.
You're ______ young to vote.
272) There are only a few public swimming pools in this city.
There aren't very ______ public swimming pools in this city.
273) Why don't you go to the doctor?
If I were you, I ______ to the doctor.
274) If I were you, I would ask for help.
____ don't you ask for help?
275) I haven't been to the cinema for 4 months.
It's been 4 months since _____ to the cinema.
276) It's been a long time since we last saw each other.
We haven't seen each other for _______.
a long time
277) It's been a long time since she came to visit us.
She ______ to visit us for a long time.
278) It took us a long time to finish our homework.
We spent a long time _______ our homework.
279) She took a long time to walk home.
She ______ a long time walking home.