Upgrade to remove ads
hidden figures vocabulary chapters 1-12
Terms in this set (31)
1. complete destruction or obliteration. 2. the conversion of matter into energy, especially the mutual conversion of a particle and an antiparticle into electromagnetic radiation.
1. containing large numbers or amounts of someone or something. 2. covered or flooded with water, especially seawater or rain. 3. level with the surface of water, especially the sea, so that it just washes over.
a town undergoing rapid growth due to sudden prosperity.
1. compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others. 2. a divinely conferred power or talent.
1. find a way around (an obstacle). 2. overcome (a problem or difficulty) , typically in a clever and surreptitious way. 3. deceive; outwit.
Contract or cause to contract into wrinkles or folds
1. neatly skillful and quick in one's movements 2. demonstrating skill and cleverness.
1. give an unofficial name or nickname to (someone or something). 2. dress ( an artificial fishing fly) with stands of fur or wool or other material.
1. a tangible or visible form of an idea, quality, or feeling. 2. the representation or an expression of something in a tangible or visible form.
1. intricate and refined delicacy 2. (in bridge and whist) an attempt to win or trick with a card that is not a certain winner. 3. do (something) in a subtle and delicate manner. 4. (in bridge and whist) play (a card that is not a certain winner) in the hope of winning a trick with it.
plant leaves, collectively.
1. a person, usual a boy more young man, who is very tall and thin and moves awkwardly. 2. thin or slender.
1. a tiller or wheel and and associated equipment for steering a ship or a boat. 2. street (a boat or a ship.
1. (of an appetite or desire) impossible to satisfy. 2.(of a person) having an insatiable appetite or desire for something., especially sex.
1. traveling from place to place 2. a person who travels from place to place.
a fastener used to prevent a wheel or other part from sliding off the axle upon which it is riding.
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person. 2. an unbranded calf or yearling. 3. unorthodox
a mixture; a medley
1. dull, tedious, and repetitious; lacking in variety and interest. 2. (of a sound or utterance) lacking in variation in tone 0r pitch.
the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
to carry out or commit (a harmful, illegal, or immoral action)
1. dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theatrical considerations. 2. replaying to philosophical or political pragmatism. 3. relating to pragmatics.
inspiring respect and admiration; having high status.
1. prove more powerful than opposing forces; be victorious. 2. be widespread in a particular area at a particular time; be current. 3. persuade (someone) to do something.
1. the action of obtaining or procuring something. 2. the action or occupation of acquiring military equipment and supplies.
1. remarkably or impressively great in extent, size, or degree. 2. unnatural, or abnormal.
(especially of a house or vehicle) in a state of severe disrepair
1. say something in answer to a remark or accusation, typically in a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive manner. 2. repay (an insult or injury) 3. a sharp, angry, or wittily incisive reply to a remark.
the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way
1. reject with disdain or contempt. 2. an act of spurning
the undermining of the power and authority of an established system or institution.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Hidden Figures Chapter 9-14
Hidden Figures Ch 10
Hidden Figures Questions Ch 1-6
Hidden Figures Ch 11
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
hidden figures vocabulary chapters 1-12
Manhattan GRE Advanced 1/10
New Words 3.3
Creekside Vocab A-5 51~100
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
8th grade STAAR ELA Review
8th Grade ELA Review
PARCC for ELA Review May 8
7th Grade ELA PARCC Review
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
CMB Chapter 15 Protein Sorting and Membr…
Journalism Exam Review