5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Clara Barton
- Richmond, VA
- Green Backs
- John Wilkes Booth
- State what factors caused Lincoln to change his war goals to include freeing the enslaved persons.(429)
- a a piece of U.S. paper money first issued by the North during the Civil War
- b a fanatical Confederate sympathizer who killed Lincoln just 5 days after Lee's surrender.
- c The Union wanted to capture the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia which was later destroyed my Sherman's march
- d After the war, worked to identify thousands of soldiers who had perished at the Andersonville prison camp; founded the American Red Cross.
- e increasing pressure from abolitionists and Radical Republicans to turn the war into a crusade against slave so as to destroy an institution that violated human principles of freedom and dignity. He also realized no European government would defend the South in a war to abolish slavery.
5 Multiple choice questions
- pg. 419 Union troops and the Confederates battled on July 3 of 1862. After 3 days of war, Union troops were more than 23,000 and more than 28,000 for the Confederates. On July 4, Lee retreated to Virginia.
- court house famous as the site of the surrender of the Confederate Army under Robert E. Lee to Union commander Ulysses S. Grant
- Mainly democrats who called for ending the war at any price, even if that meant welcoming the South and slavery back into the Union or letting the slave states leave in Peace. Some encouraged Northerners to resist the war and others openly supported the South.
- in the presidential election of 1964 (Lincoln's re-election), the Republican party temporarily changed its name to the Union party to attract Democrats who supported the war.
- Opposed Lincoln's view that the war was only to preserve the Union and his refusal to make the end of slavery a goal of the war.
5 True/False questions
State why the Battle of Gettysburg was so significant.(422) → Advantages of the North: the Union's three-pronged military strategy; Superior resources; twice the population Advantages of the South: Better army because of strong military tradition; resources provided by Europe
Explain Lincoln's timing in issuing the Emancipation Proclamation.(422) → Emancipation Proclamation An official public announcement made by Lincoln on September 22, 1862, to free the slaves of the Confederacy, which made this conflict a war against slavery.
Examine how the tactics used by Union generals Philip Sheridan and William Sherman.(435) → Sherman used a tactic known as forage. This was used by striking into the enemy territory and to forage, or live off the land. Sherman continued to cause a path of destruction of cities, land and property where ever he went leaving the area a wasteland. This weakened enemy forces and moral.
Identify Emancipation Proclamation.(422) → a private relief organization that collected millions of dollars for projects to improve the living conditions of Union Soldiers
Ft. Sumter → Commander of the Union Navy, led 20/24 ships successfully past several forts into the port of New Orleans, where it surrendered without a shot.