5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Adriatic Sea
- bona fide
- a nourished girl/girls; female graduates of an institution.
- b the study of the origin of language, the words themselves, and the change in definition of words.
- c in good faith. means something that is done in a sincere attempt.
- d the sea separating Italy from Greece
- e legendary "city in/under the sea" referenced by Plato, it is a metaphor for a city-state of great power, technological advancement.
5 Multiple choice questions
- a large, public open-air arena where entertainment events were held, such as gladiatorial combat.
- large island to the south of Greece. Home of the Minoan civilization (early wealthy kingdom in early Greek history), known in myth as the home of King Minos's labyrinth and the Minotaur.
- nourishing mother; an institution of learning
- Latin for "and the others" often used to shorten a list of many names.
- a region in Rome along the Tiber river, home of the Pantheon and Theater of Pompey. North of the Capitoline Hill, this low-lying area was used as a training ground for soldiers.
5 True/False questions
Danaids → 50 women who killed their husbands on their wedding night; depicted as being tortured in Hades as having to carry water in leaky jugs thus never completing their task into eternity.
Aesop → breastplate; currently it means a source of protection for a group, individual, or idea.
Capitoline Hill → legendary "city in/under the sea" referenced by Plato, it is a metaphor for a city-state of great power, technological advancement.
ex officio → ever upward! state motto of New York
bellicose → breastplate; currently it means a source of protection for a group, individual, or idea.