5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a in legal terms, it is the attempt to show that a defendant was not present at a crime location because others can place him/her at that time in a different place. From the Latin that means somewhere else.
- b the people who inhabited central Italy before and during the early history of Rome.
- c the mountain range running north to south that forms a spine in the center of the Italian peninsula.
- d breastplate; currently it means a source of protection for a group, individual, or idea.
- e a mythic creature with the torso and head of a man, but the body and legs of a horse. known for their battle with the lapiths in the attempted abduction of Hippodamia.
5 Multiple choice questions
- before the war; commonly used to describe art, culture, etc. in US before the civil war era.
- legendary date for the founding of Rome
- Greek scientist/philosopher who is credited with discovering water displacement to find the volume/density of objects as well as many other scientific and mathematic discoveries. Famously associated with the exclamation "Eureka" (I found it!)"
- 50 women who killed their husbands on their wedding night; depicted as being tortured in Hades as having to carry water in leaky jugs thus never completing their task into eternity.
- Greco-Roman spring time festivals to honor the god of wine; often accompanied by theatrical performances and became synonymous with drunken debauchery.
5 True/False questions
alpha and omega → the sea separating Italy from Greece
alter ego → a false name used to conceal identity. From the Latin that means another/other.
Alps → tall mountain chain spanning France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy.
bona fide → in good faith. means something that is done in a sincere attempt.
amor omnia vincit → in good faith. means something that is done in a sincere attempt.