Upgrade to remove ads
ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE : REVIEW FOR MIDTERM
Terms in this set (25)
90 percent of the energy in a trophic level is lost at the next tropic level leaving only 10% available .
the correct order: community, ecosystem, organism,population
organism, community, population, ecosystem
Role of decomposers
create food for plants to use
algae-crustacean-blugill fish-largemouth bass; what happens if you kill off the crustaceans
algae population explodes, all other populations decrease, pond eutrophies.
A system formed by the interaction of a community of organisms with their physical environment
Energy flow in ecosystems
producers, primary consumers, secondary consumers, tertiary consumers
Estuary organism adaptations
adapt to temperature, sunlight, salinity, availability of nutrients.
-dominant vegetation types
-biology of organisms
-growing season length
Nonliving components of environment.
nocturnal animals, Thick skinned retaining water
Plants and the carbon cycle
plants take in CO2 and release O2
A relationship between two species in which both species benefit
A relationship between two organisms in which one organism benefits and the other is unaffected
A relationship between two organisms of different species where one benefits and the other is harmed
An interaction in which one organism kills another for food.
Succession following a disturbance that destroys a community without destroying the soil
A group of individuals that belong to the same species and live in the same area
An organism that eats producers
Consumers that eat only animals
Organisms that are able to make their own food
Organisms that depend on other organisms for their food.
Each step in a food chain or food web
total amount of living tissue within a given trophic level
this nutrient is converted to compounds that can be assimilated by plants then returned in gas form to the atmosphere; all processes rely on bacteria
The cycle through which water in the hydrosphere moves; includes such processes as evaporation, precipitation, and surface and groundwater runoff
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 2 and 3.1 Bio Test
Unit 2 Ecology Words
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Chapter 17-18 (Renewable and Nonrenewabl…
CHAPTER 5 SET FOOD WEBS AND TROPHIC LEVE…
The Organization of Life Revised by DiBo…
New chapter 4 List