1. A Democrat turned Jacksonian (whig)
2. Served in Congress and Senate
3. Heroic soldier
1. "Father of the Constitution"
2. Two terms as President
James K. Polk
1. Manifest Destiny
2. "Expansionist President"
1. Signer of Declaration of Independence
2. Served as President
1. Declaration of Women's Sentiments
2. Women's Rights Activist
Marquis de Lafayette
1. Helped defeat Cornwallis
2. Assisted Washington in revolution
Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. Leader of transcendentalist movement
Stephen A. Douglass
1. Kansas/Nebraska Act
2. Popular Sovereignty
3. Lincoln-Douglass Debates
1. 3rd President
2. Declaration of Independence
3. First Democratic Republican President
1. Killed Alexander Hamilton
2. Was Vice President for Jefferson
3. Later became a radical: wanted to break from U.S./treason
1. Assisted Lewis & Clark in exploring Louisiana Territory
1. Monroe Doctrine
2. President during "era of good feelings" (misnomer)
1. Sons of Liberty
2. Midnight Rider
3. "Regulators are out"
4. "The British are coming"
1. Indian Removal Act
2. Trail of Tears
3. Spoil System
4. 1st Democratic President
5. VETOED Bank
1. Shay's Rebellion
2. Articles of Confederation weak and need change
Samuel de Champlain
1. "Father of New France"
2. Found Quebec
1. Discovered electricity
2. The enlightenment
3. "First Citizen" (American)
William Lloyd Garrison
1. The Liberator (newspaper)
2. Radical Abolitionist
1. Pottawatomie Massacre
2. Hung: murdered five southern slave owners
4. Harper Ferry's raid (unsuccesful)
1. "Father of our Country"
2. First President
Antonio Lopez de Santa Ana
1. Mexican military leader
2. Won battle of Alamo (defeat U.S.)
1. Private secretary of Jefferson
2. Worked with Clark on exploration of Louisiana Territory
1. Slave > won freedom
2. Signed Declaration of Sentiments
1. Chief Justice of Supreme Court
3. Ruled during "One Party Rule"
4. Supreme Court could rule laws unconstitutional
John Quincy Adams
1. First Minority President
1. Translated book of Mormons
2. Founded Mormon religion
1. Cotton Gin
2. Mass production
3. Interchangeable parts
Samuel F.B. Morse
1. Morse code
3. "What hath God wrought?"
Robert la Salle
1. First European to discover Mississippi River Basin
2. Sailed Mississippi River to Mexico
3. "Father of Louisiana"
Theodore Dwight Weld
1. First school for inter-racial people
John Paul Jones
1. "Father of U.S. Navy"
2. Fighter's Moral/Attitude
1. Wrote American Crisis and
2. Common Sense
1. Jay Treaty
2. President of supreme court
Martin Van Buren
1. "Van Ruin"
2. President after Andrew Jackson (..NOT Johnson)
3. Continued States into further economic crisis
Harriet Breecher Stowe
1. Wrote Uncle Tom's Cabin
2. Helped Underground Railroad
1. Conductor of Underground Railroad ("operator")
2. "Moses" of her people
1. Advocate of women's rights
2. Influenced many powerful men to be women's rights activists (like Sam Adams)
1. Compromise of 1850
2. Lincoln/Webster Debates
3. Opposed Slavery and Disunion
4. Famous Lawyer/ Senate Speaker
5. "Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable"
1. Steam boat
1. [Slave] Sues master for freedom (Denied)
2. This was called the "Dred Scott Decision"
1. Helped write book of Federalists
2. Federalists Papers
3. New York Convention attendee
1. Governer of Tennessee
2. Served in Congress & Senate
1. Sons of Liberty
2. Signed Declaration of Independence
3. Committee of Correspondence
4. Articles of Confederation
George Rodgers Clark
1. Delegate to Virginia
2. Worked with Lewis on exploration of Louisiana Territory
1. Defeats Santa Ana
2. March to Rio Grande (Mexican war)
3. Commander of Military in U.S.
1. "Father of Anti-Federalists Party"
2. "Give me liberty or give me death"
1. "Old Fuss and Feathers"
2. One of the most skillful generals of his time
3. Captured Mexico City
Richard Henry Lee
1. Thought up a Declaration of Independence (executed by Jefferson and Jefferson receives credit for writing America's Declaration of Independence)
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions above and try again
Reload the page to try again!
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
It looks like your browser might be zoomed in or out. Your browser needs to be zoomed to a normal size to record audio.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.