5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- red blood cell indices
- Electrolyte Panel
- a measure of level of specific ions and carbon dioxide in the blood, electrolytes maintain water balance, nerve, muscle, and heart activity
- b the liquid portion of whole blood that contains active clotting agents
- c Mathematic ratios of the three red blood cell tests (hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell count)
- d WBCs that contain promonient granules (seen when stained with Wright's stain) in cytoplasm. These include Basophils, Neutrophils, and Eosinophils.
- e normal red blood cell color
5 Multiple choice questions
- A sexually transmitted bacterial disease caused by a gonococcus bacterium that causes inflammation of the genital mucous membrane, burning pain when urinating, and a discharge; tends to coexist with chlamydia, symptoms similar to acute urethritis and epididymitis; Gonorrhea (neisseria gonorrhoeae) bacterial:
Dysuria, thick cloudy or bloody discharge from penis, dysuria and urinary frequencyCurable with antibiotic therapy cefixime (Suprax), azythromycin, doxycycline
- an abnormally low level of calcium in the blood
- Enzyme that converts fibrinogen to fibrin during coagulation
- underfilled tubes: underfilling tubes leads to an improper blood/additive ratio, certain additives, such as sodium flouride, in disproportionate amounts can cause hemolysis, permit blood to flow into the tubes until no more movement can be seen
- Antigen present in the blood of 85% of US Caucasians. A person having this is RH+, someone lacking the antigen is Rh-. Named after being found in Rhesus monkeys in 1940s.
5 True/False questions
innaccurate hematocrit results → 6-15 ㎛, nucleus round or oval, nucleus smudged, lumpy or clumped; scant sky blue to dark blue cytoplasm; Inclusions: none to few round red-purple granules
Order of Draw (mnemonic) → normal red blood cell color
SST → Serum separator tube: First choice: Gold-topped tube has a red/gray stopper with gold hemogard cover; serum is the fluid portion of the blood that remains AFTER clotting; RED STOPPER non-additive tube also but does not have gel and requires pipetting the serum off for transport.
tinnitis → ringing, buzzing, or roaring sound in one or both ears
Hemoglobin (substance) → common over 50. 2nd highest causeof cancer death in males, symptoms; urinary obstruction, increased UTIs frequent nocturia; digital rectal exam to identify, prostate specific antigen (PSA) are also checked.