How can we help?
You can also find more resources in our
Select a category
Something is confusing
Something is broken
I have a suggestion
What is your email?
What is 1 + 3?
Upgrade to remove ads
For Exam 4 - Biol 176 - Chapter 49
2) Which of the following is associated with the evolution of a central nervous system?
B) bilateral symmetry
The general functions of the nervous system include which of the following?
II. motor output
III. sensory input
E) I, II, and III
Integration of simple responses to certain stimuli, such as the patellar reflex, is accomplished by which of the following?
A) spinal cord
The divisions of the nervous system that have antagonistic actions, or opposing actions are
A) motor and sensory.
B) sympathetic and parasympathetic.
Which part of the vertebrate nervous system is most involved in preparation for the fight-or-flight response?
Which of the following activities would be associated with the parasympathetic division of the nervous system?
A) rest and digestion
In a cephalized invertebrate, which system transmits impulses from the anterior ganglion to distal segments?
B) peripheral nervous system
Which system controls smooth and cardiac muscles of the digestive, cardiovascular, and excretory systems?
C) autonomic nervous system
17) Which of the following is correct about the telencephalon region of the brain?
D) It gives rise to the cerebrum.
18) What controls the heart rate?
Which area of the brain is most intimately associated with the unconscious control of respiration and circulation?
21) Which of the following produces hormones that are secreted by the pituitary gland?
22) Which of the following coordinates muscle actions?
23) Which of the following regulates body temperature?
Which of the following contains regulatory centers for the respiratory and circulatory systems?
E) medulla oblongata
25) Which of the following contains regions that help regulate hunger and thirst?
By comparing the size and degree of convolution of various vertebrate cerebral cortices, biologists would gain insight into the relative
D) sophistication of behaviors.
28) The motor cortex is part of which part of the nervous system?
Melatonin is a hormone produced in the pineal gland. It can be used to treat symptoms of sleep disorders and seasonal affective disorder because
D) its peak production is normally at night.
33) What do Wernicke's and Broca's regions of the brain affect?
35) The establishment and expression of emotions involves the
A) frontal lobes and limbic system.
When Phineas Gage had a metal rod driven into his frontal lobe or when someone had a frontal lobotomy, which of the following occurred?
C) They had different emotional responses.
1) Wakefulness is regulated by the reticular formation, which is present in the
2) Which of the following structures or regions is incorrectly paired with its function?
A) limbic system-motor control of speech
3) What is the neocortex?
D) an additional outer layer of neurons in the cerebral cortex that is unique to mammals
4) Patients with damage to Wernicke's area have difficulty
D) understanding language.
5) The sympathetic division of the autonomic portion of the PNS does all of the following except
E) stimulating the salivary glands.
6) The cerebral cortex plays a major role in all of the following except
C) circadian rhythm.
Upgrade to remove ads