Create an account
1. Most cases have one or more positions on the case to hold a case fan to help draw air out of the case.
3. an overheated system can cause intermittent problems or cause the system to reboot or refuse to boot.
5. If you hear two beeps during the boot and you see a blank screen, the BIOS has successfully completed the POST.
6. Intel's _____ allows each logical processor within the processor package to handle an individual thread in parallel with other threads being handled by other processors with the package.
7. ______ hold counters, data, instructions, and addresses that the ALU is currently processing.
9. The cooler sits on top of the processor and consists of a fan and a heat _______, which are fins that draw heat away form the processor.
10. A ______ is a heat sink carrying an electrical charge that causes it to act as an electrical thermal transfer device.
1. A simple problem of replacing a bad memory module can become a complex research project if you don't nave a good grasp of current and past memory technologies.
3. Mixing unbuffered memory with buffered or registered memory will work but is not recommended.
4. Most often, placing memory on the motherboard and updating the BIOS manually is all that is necessary for installation.
8. A(n) _______ gets its name because it has independent pins on the opposite sides of the module.
1. A hard disk drive (HDD) , most often called a hard drive, comes in two sizes for personal computers; the 1.8" size is used for laptop computers and the 2.5" size is used for desktops.
4. If you are replacing a floppy drive, you must inform BIOS setup by accessing setup and changing the drive type.
5. Hardware problems usually show up at POST, unless there is physical damage to an are of the hard drive that is not accessed during POST.
6. A ______ dive has one, two, or more platters, or disks, that stack together and spin in unison inside a sealed metal housing that contains firmware to control reading and writing data to the drive and to communicate with the motherboard.
7. The top and bottom of each disk of a magnetic hard drive have a(n) ______ that move across the disk surface as all the disks rotate on a spindle.
Please allow access to your computer’s microphone to use Voice Recording.
Having trouble? Click here for help.
We can’t access your microphone!
Click the icon above to update your browser permissions and try again
Reload the page to try again!Reload
Press Cmd-0 to reset your zoom
Press Ctrl-0 to reset your zoom
Please upgrade Flash or install Chrome
to use Voice Recording.
For more help, see our troubleshooting page.
Your microphone is muted
For help fixing this issue, see this FAQ.
Star this term
You can study starred terms together