5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- book of genesis
- creation story
- a written down and put into final form around the period of the Babylonian exile, in the sixth century bc. 1st book in the pentateuch. contains story of adam and eve
- b People who lived in the area of israel called Samaria. The Samaritans came from Jews who married non-Jews.
- c temporary leaders appointed by God to lead the people of Israel when enemies oppressed them (samson, gideon, deborah, ruth)
- d has stirred up controversy among believers, both Christian and Jewish. focuses on the story of Adam and Eve.
- e prophet, almond tree, boiling pot. he was persecuted for God's sake.
5 Multiple choice questions
- probably part of Josiah's reform movement, composed the book of Deuteronomy, and believed the Exile was inevitable because the people continued to defy god. people who wrote the bible
- a book of the Old Testament that tells the story of Ruth who was not an Israelite but who married an Israelite and who stayed with her mother-in-law Naomi after her husband died; judge
- the second book of the Old Testament: tells of the departure of the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt led by Moses
- an Old Testament book telling of a rabbi's efforts in the 5th century BC to reconstitute Jewish law and worship in Jerusalem after the Babylonian Captivity, recommitting the law
- Micah, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah...,, messages passed onto us in separate books of the bible which are named for them.
5 True/False questions
problem of Greek domination in Judea → at times Greek rulers punished Jews for practicing their religion. The Greek lifestyles and philosophy lured many Jews away from their own traditions and faith
Ishmael → Jacob given this new name after wrestling with creature. "one who has contended with divine and human beings."
Holiness Code → found in leviticus chapter 17-26.
Gideon → Israel's sixth military leader; defeated a vastly superior enemy army with just 300 chosen men. 1 lantern = 10 men so he gave all his men lanterns and the other place fled
Book of Numbers → title from census. hebrew journey through the dessert for 30 years, miriam is struck with leprosy for clamming to have equality with moses.