Upgrade to remove ads
PSY 341 Chapter 7 - Suicide
Terms in this set (43)
1. Women attempt suicide ____ times as often as men.
2. What is the ratio of attempted suicides to completed suicides?
3. Which group has the highest suicide rate in the United States?
a. Hispanic Americans
b. American Indians
c. African Americans
d. White Americans
4. Suicide can be caused by immediate or long-term stressors. Which circumstance would NOT be considered a long-term stressor?
a. An abusive environment
b. Occupational stress
c. A serious illness
d. The sudden death of a loved one
The sudden death of a loved one
5. Pamela tends to see the world in black-and-white, seeing things in either/or terms and frequently using the word "only." Cognitive theorists would describe this as a(n) _____ thinking pattern.
6. Research suggests that as many as 70 percent of all suicide attempters has been experiencing:
b. Chronic alcoholism
c. Severe depression
d. Panic disorder
7. Freud believed that human beings have an unconscious "death instinct." Which term did he use to refer to that death instinct?
8. The activity level of the neurotransmitter _____ has been found to be low in people who commit suicide.
9. The world anomie, which is at the heart of one of the three types of suicide proposed by Emile Durkheim, means:
b. Without law
c. Loss of spirit
d. Not spry
10. The rate of _____ suicides has been rising more than that of any age group in recent years, a trend that is not fully understood.
11. It is estimated that approximately 1 out of every ____ children attempts to harm him or herself in a given year, with many ending up hospitalized for deliberately self-destructive acts.
12. Clinical depression appears to play a role in as many as ____ percent of suicides by the elderly.
13. Approximately how many people are admitted to a U.S. hospital each year for injuries resulting from efforts to harm themselves?
14. The first suicide-prevention program in the United States was established in ____, in 1955.
a. Washington, D.C.
b. New York, New York
c. Minneapolis, Minnesota
d. Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles, California
15. The greatest number of suicides are committed by:
a. Teenage African Americans
b. Older white males
c. Teenage Asian Americans
d. Older American Indians
Older white males
16. Which is NOT one of the types of suicidal individuals that was identified by Shneidman?
a. Death seeker
b. Death ignorer
c. Death collaborator
d. Death initiator
17. Of the four countries listed, which has the LOWEST annual suicidal rate?
18. As many as 70 percent of those who commit suicide have some alcohol in their blood when they die, and approximately ____ percent of them are legally intoxicated.
19. "No one kills himself who has not wanted to kill another or at least wished the death of another." This quotation suggesting that suicide is an internalization of anger that is truly directed at others was made by physician and psychologist:
a. Sigmund Freud
b. Wilhelm Stekel
c. Karl Menninger
d. Edwin Shneidman
20. When someone commits suicide because they don't have a sense of belonging within society, this is an example of ______ suicide.
21. A study of 343 depressed people found that those who felt rejected or neglected by their _____ as children were more likely than others to attempt suicide as adults.
22. Teenagers who attempt to kill themselves far outnumber those who actually succeed in ending their lives. In fact, it is estimated that for every completed teen suicide there may be as many as ____ attempts.
23. ____ percent of total United States population support the right of a terminally ill patient to commit suicide.
a. One hundred
24. What is the name of the physician that assisted in the deaths of 130 progressively ill patients?
a. Jack Kevorkian
b. Emil Durkheim
c. Karl Menninger
d. Edwin Shneidman
25. Many theorists have argued that ____ is the ultimate form of suicide prevention.
a. The increased use of antidepressant medication
c. Restricted access to prescription medications
d. Outlawing firearms
26. What is the term that refers to suicide attempt that does not result in death?
a. Subintentional death
d. Suicidal shorting
27. While not officially classifying as a mental disorder, _____ is being studied as a category for possible inclusions in future revisions of the DSM.
c. Death darers
d. Nonsuicidal self-injury
28. ____ of every 100,000 men and ____ out of every 100,000 women around the world kill themselves each year.
a. 13; 3
b. 19; 4
c. 9; 3
d. 5; 2
29. What percent of suicide attempters suffer from chronic alcoholism?
30. Someone attempting suicide after they learn about someone else who has done so is called suicide:
31. In support of Freud's view, researchers have found a relationship between _____ - either real or symbolic - and later suicidal behaviors.
a. The use of defense mechanisms
b. Fixation at the phallic stage of development
c. Childhood losses
d. Experiencing conflict between the id and superego
32. Low serotonin activity has been found to be linked to which effect that may contribute to suicidal behaviors?
a. Increased frequency of hallucinations
b. Increased aggression
c. Decrease in depressive symptoms
d. Decreased impulsivity
33. Experts have found that there are often behavioral patterns that precede a suicide attempt by a child. Which is NOT one of those behavioral warning signs?
a. Running away from home
c. Delusions of nihilism or paranoia
d. Dark fantasies, daydreams, or hallucinations
Delusions of nihilism or paranoia
34. Clinical interviews with schoolchildren have revealed that between _____ percent have thought about suicide.
a. 8 and 50
b. 2 and 10
c. 6 and 33
d. 1 and 5
6 and 33
35. The Trevor Lifeline is a nationwide hotline available for teenagers who are thinking about suicide that are also:
c. College students
36. The goals of therapy for those who have attempted suicide include all of the following goals EXCEPT to:
a. Provide them with hope
b. Keep them alive
c. Separate them from their family
Separate them from their family
37. _____ is considered a pioneer in the area of suicide study.
a. Fritz Perls
b. Bryan Hoffman
c. Emile Durkheim
d. Edwin Shneidman
38. Research indicates that suicides by people with schizophrenia reflects:
a. A delusion that suicide is a grand noble gesture
b. a response to an imagined voice
c. demoralization and the fear of further mental deterioration
d. a long-term reaction to medication
demoralization and the fear of further mental deterioration
39. Suicide programs that are put into action following an individual's suicide are referred to as:
b. Critical incident stress debriefing (CISD)
c. Retrospective action plans (RAPs)
d. Action enhancement interventions
40. Which influential psychiatrist referred to suicide as "murder in the 180th" degree, emphasizing the idea that suicide is an internalization of aggression and anger that is really focused on another person?
a. Karl Menninger
b. Emile Durkheim
c. Morton Silverman
d. Wilhelm Stekel
41. More than _____ of every 100,000 people over age 65 kill themselves each year.
42. Which ethnic group may commit suicide less because they feel more responsible to their families?
a. white Americans
b. American Indians
c. Hispanic Americans
d. African Americans
43. After attempting suicide, around _____ percent of teens stop treatment against their therapists' advice.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Ch 7 Suicide
Chapter 7 Abnormal Psychology
LaunchPad Ch. 6b
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Abnormal Psychology Chapter 7: Suicide
Chapter 9 (AB)
Abnormal Psychology Chapter 10 Quiz 1
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
PSY 311 Exam 3 Study Guide
PSY 341 Chapter 9: Eating Disorders
PSY 311 Exam 2 Study Guide
PSY 341 Chapter 5 - Disorders of Trauma & Stress
OTHER QUIZLET SETS
PSY322 Exam 3
Psych Midterm 1- Quiz 2 Questions
Psyc 3000 Section 3 Final Review Eurton