FDR's The New Deal
Terms in this set (18)
Immediate help & care for the poor & unemployed
PWA (Public Works Administration)
- Put unemployed to work building or improving bridges, highways, and public buildings like schools, post offices, etc.
- Eventually became the CWA (Civilian Works Administration).
WPA (Works Progress Administration)
Put jobless to work building roads, public buildings, and airports.
CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)
Hired unemployed young men 18-25 years old to work preserving the nation's natural resources through reforestation and conservation.
FERA (Federal Emergency Relief Administration)
Gave MONEY to state and local agencies for relief or welfare programs.
Trying to fix or change the economy
FDIC (Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation)
Insured bank deposits up to $2,500.
SSI (Social Security Insurance)
Provided pensions (retirement money) for most workers by making payroll deductions.
Emergency Banking Act
FDR closed all banks. He said banks would be allowed to reopen on March 13 as long as a Treasury Department inspection showed each bank had enough cash to operate properly.
Securities and Exchange Commission
Monitors the stock market and enforces laws regulating buying of stocks on credit and margin buying, and restricts speculation.
Focused on fixing one specific problem
TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority)
Gave jobs rebuilding the Tennessee Valley; brought flood relief and hydroelectric power to the area.
AAA (Agricultural Adjustment Act)
Paid farmers to cut their production of wheat, cotton, corn, hogs, rice, tobacco, and dairy products. The idea: if the farmers reduce the amount of supply, the demand will increase.
*Found to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL because the federal government was regulating intrastate commerce.
NRA (National Recovery Administration)
- Set up a system to handle the problems of overproduction, intense competition, and price instability.
- Established a minimum wage and maximum work hours, and outlawed child labor.
- Section 7 (a) - guaranteed workers the right to organize and bargain collectively with their employers (UNIONS!)
*Found to be UNCONSTITUTIONAL because it was regulating intrastate trade
NLRA (National Labor Relations Act) or Wagner Act
- Replaced Section 7 (a), so it continued support the workers' rights to join unions.
- It protected workers from employer intimidation or threats, and guaranteed that collective bargaining took place.
Which New Deal programs fall under RELIEF?
PWA, WPA, CCC, FERA
Which New Deal programs fall under REFORM?
FDIC, SSI, Emergency Banking Act, Security & Exchange Commission
Which New Deal programs fall under RECOVERY?
TVA, AAA, NRA, NLRA
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Series 7 Top-Off Exam Preparation | Knopman Marks Guide
Ch 15 NEW DEAL PROGRAMS
AP US HISTORY NEW DEAL
APUSH New Deal
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Adjectives - Weeks 6-10
Verbs - Weeks 6-10
Tourism & Vacation (turismo y vacaciones)