5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Darwin had initially expected the living plants of temperate South America to resemble those of temperate Europe, but he was surprised to find that they more closely resembled the plants of tropical South America. The biological explanation for this observation is most properly associated with the field of
- In a hypothetical environment, fishes called pike-cichlids are visual predators of algae-eating fish, i.e., they locate their prey by sight. If a population of algae eaters experiences predation pressure from pike-cichlids, which of the following would least likely be observed in the algae-eater population over the course of many generations?
- During a study session about evolution, one of your fellow students remarks, "The giraffe stretched its neck while reaching for higher leaves; its offspring inherited longer necks as a result." Which statement would you use to correct this student's misconception?
- To observe natural selection's effects on a population, what must be true?
- Both Darwin's and Lamarck's ideas regarding evolution suggest which of the following?
- a e. The interaction of organisms with their environment is important in the evolutionary process.
- b e. biogeography.
- c c. Female algae eaters may become larger, bearing broods composed of more, and larger, young.
- d a. Characteristics acquired during an organism's life are generally not passed on through genes.
- e e. A and B only
5 Multiple choice questions
- c. Lamarck.
- b. Populations tend to increase at a faster rate than their food supply.
- d. More small-beaked birds dying than the larger-beaked birds. The offspring produced in subsequent generations have a higher percentage of birds with large beaks.
- e. individuals must adapt to their environment.
- e. A, B, and C
5 True/False questions
Catastrophism, meaning the regular occurrence of geological or meteorological disturbances (catastrophes), was Cuvier's attempt to explain the existence of → b. the fossil record.
Given a population that contains genetic variation, what is the correct sequence of the following events, under the influence of natural selection? → a. 2, 4, 1, 3
"Improving the intelligence of an adult through education will result in that adult's descendants being born with a greater native intelligence." This statement is an example of → b. Lamarckism.
Which of the following events, as described here, is most in agreement with the idea of catastrophism? → d. the demise of the dinosaurs, and various other groups, by the impact of a large extraterrestrial body with Earth
Which of the following must exist in a population before natural selection can act upon that population? → e. individuals must adapt to their environment.