Upgrade to remove ads
Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
Terms in this set (10)
Define human rights:
The basic rights & freedoms which all human beings are entitled to. They're applicable at all times & places and are to protect everyone equally without discrimination.
- are norms which represent the ways of living that have been imbedded into the culture of a country over a long period of time.
What are the UDHR?
The Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
- 1st International agreement on basic principles, it's a document that states the basic rights & freedoms to which all humans are entitled to.
- established 1948 & 192 countries signed up.
- non binding but protected by international law.
What is the UDHR categorised on?
1) Dignity - state of being worth of honour or respect.
2) Liberty - state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's behaviour or political views.
3) Justice - just behaviour or treatment.
List some of the human rights:
2- right to be free of discrimination.
4- right to be free from slavery.
5- right to be free from torture or degrading treatment.
7 - right to equal protection under the law.
11 - right to be considered innocent until proven guilty.
14 - right to protection in other countries from persecution.
19 - right to think & say what we want.
23 - right to work & join trade unions.
25 - right to health, food, clothing & housing.
26 - right to education.
What are human right norms?
The basic moral minimums, of which governments must meet.
What is an international treaty?
An agreement concluded between states and government by international law.
What is a declaration?
An agreement which is accepted but not legally binding.
What is a convention?
An agreement between different states where the outcome is legally binding and part of international law.
What is signing a treaty?
It shows an intent by a state to comply with the agreement.
What is ratifying a treaty?
When a state consents to be legally bound to that treaty and creates legalisation to enforce it.
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
Introduction to Catholic Social Teaching
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Human Rights Final: Key *Terms*
ISS 308 Exam 2
Legal Studies- Human Rights
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Tunnels & Buildings: