Upgrade to remove ads
org chap 8b
Terms in this set (28)
Informal groups are NOT created to serve organizational objectives.
Informal groups potentially minimize employees stress.
provided emotional and informational social support group.
Stress-reducing capability of Informal groups
improves employee well-being and improves organizational effectiveness.
are the backbone of social network.
Employees with a strong informal networks then to have more power and influence because they receive better information and preferential treatment from others and their talent is more visible to key decision maker.
Just the act of one person bringing the other up to speed, saying things out loud, brings out things people hadn't noticed before. That makes them smarter.
1970's Japanese economic miracle
Under the right conditions, teams make better decisions, develop a better product & services, and creates a more engaging workforce.
1. can quickly share information and coordinate tasks.
2. provide superior customer services.
Reasons why people are potentially more motivated working in teams rather than alone:
1. Drive to bond and motivated to fulfill the goals of groups they belong.
2. Accountable to fellow team members.
3. Becomes the benchmark of comparison.
Teams are NOT always as effective as individuals working alone.
is performed better by diving its tasks into more specialized roles.
is TYPICALLY performed more effectively by individuals alone when they have all the necessary knowledge and skills and the work cannot be divided into specialized tasks or is not complex enough to benefit from specialization.
resources (Including time and energy) expended toward team development and maintenance rather than the task.
It is much more efficient for an individual to work out an issue alone than to resolve differences of opinion with other people.
For a team to perform well:
1. need to agree and have a mutual understanding of their goals.
2. Strategy for accomplishing those goals, their specific roles and informal rules of conduct.
1. is also called MYTHICAL MAN MONTH.
2. adding more people to late software project only makes it later.
1. best-known limitation of teams is the risk of productivity loss.
2. Occurs when people exert less effort (and usually perform at a lower level) when working in teams than when working alone.
Social Loafing is more serious when the individual's performance is less likely to be noticed, mainly in large teams.
1. Stated that "when the group is smaller there's nowhere to hide".
2. You have to pull your weight up.
Preventing Social Loafing
1. less prevalent and the task is interesting.
2. occurs less frequently among members who value team membership.
3. Believe in working toward the teams objective.
Team is effective when it benefits its:
3. it's own survival.
1. serve the organizational purpose.
2. relies on the satisfaction and well-being of its members.
3. team variability its ability to survive.
to bring together project members with diverse backgrounds to more quickly resolve problems.
1. task characteristics
2. team size
3. team composition
organizational and team environment
3. organizational structure
4. organizational leadership
5. physical space
1. team development
2. team norms
3. team cohesion
4. team trust
1. accomplish tasks
2. satisfy member needs
3. maintain team survival
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Management - Principles and Applications | Bierman…
Chapter 7: Team Dynamics
OB chapter 7
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
org chap 8c
Org chapter 8
chap 2 HR