5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Gettysburg Address
- Suspension of habeas corpus
- John Brown's Raid
- California Gold Rush
- a Abraham Lincoln did this, which was a court order that forced the detainer of a prisoner to show cause for the prisoner's detention. By suspending the order, the president had the right to arrest anti-Unionists or pro-Southerners.
- b During the Civil War, conscription created public unrest and class resentment b/c:
-immigrants felt like they were drafted more often
-families lost their breadwinners
-wealthy could avoid the draft by paying or hiring substitutes
-men who had over a certain amount of slaves were exempt (to keep order in Southern society and allow for food production)
- c a 3-minute address by Abraham Lincoln during the American Civil War (November 19, 1963) at the dedication of a national cemetery on the site of the Battle of Gettysburg
captured the spirit of liberty and morality ideally held by citizens of a democracy
- d gold discovery in Sutter's Mill in 1848 resulted in huge mass of adventurers in 1849, led to application for statehood, opened question of slavery in the West
- e An attempt by abolitionist John Brown to cause a slave rebellion by seizing a weapons arsenal; however, it failed since no slaver knew about it. Caused south to believe northern abolitionists were all radical and militant.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Lincoln issued it and freed all the slaves in the Confederate states, but slaves in Border States loyal to the Union remained enslaved. It only applied to states in rebellion (Confederate states). It led to slaves rebelling and joining the Union army and increased sympathy from Europe.
- President of Confederacy
- the first major battle in the American Civil War to take place on Northern soil. It was the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, with almost 23,000 casualties. After this "win" for the North, Lincoln announced the Emancipation Proclamation
- Forestalled the Civil War by instating the Fugitive Slave Act , banning slave trade in DC, admitting California as a free state, splitting up the Texas territory, and instating popular sovereignty in the Mexican Cession
- Union strategy
• Split the Confederacy in two by capturing the Mississippi River
• Blockade Confederate ports
5 True/False questions
Lincoln's plan for reconstruction → 1831 - Slave uprising. A group of 60 slaves led by Nat Turner; who believed he was a divine instrument sent to free his people; killed almost 60 Whites in South Hampton; Virginia. This let to a sensational manhunt in which 100 Blacks were killed. As a result; slave states strengthened measures against slaves and became more united in their support of fugitive slave laws.
Dred Scott Decision → A Missouri slave sued for his freedom, claiming that his four year stay in the northern portion of the Louisiana Territory made free land by the Missouri Compromise had made him a free man. The U.S, Supreme Court decided he couldn't sue in federal court because he was property, not a citizen.
Scalawags → the first major battle in the American Civil War to take place on Northern soil. It was the bloodiest single-day battle in American history, with almost 23,000 casualties. After this "win" for the North, Lincoln announced the Emancipation Proclamation
14th amendment → abolished slavery
Wilmot Proviso → Southern laws designed to restrict the rights of the newly freed black slaves