Upgrade to remove ads
New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1 Lesson 1-15
Terms in this set (87)
1. Who made us?
God made us.
2. Who is God?
God is the Supreme Being who made all things.
3. Why did God make us?
God made us to show forth His goodness and to share with us His everlasting happiness in heaven.
4. What must we do to gain the happiness of heaven?
To gain the happiness of heaven we must know, love, and serve God in this world.
5. From whom do we learn to know, love and serve God?
We learn to know, love, and serve God from Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who teaches us through the Catholic Church.
6. Where do we find the chief truths taught by Jesus Christ throught the Catholic Church?
We find the chief truths taught by Jesus Christ through the Catholic Church in the Apostles' Creed.
7. Say the Apostles' Creed
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord; Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell; the third day He arose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.
8. What do we mean when we say that God is the Supreme Being?
When we say that God is the Supreme Being we mean that He is above all creatures.
9. What do we mean when we say that God is eternal?
When we say that God is eternal we mean that He always was and always will be, and that He always remains the same.
10. What do we mean when we say that God is all-knowing?
When we say that God is all-knowing we mean that He knows all things, past, present, and future, even our most secret thoughts, words, and actions.
11. What do we mean when we say that God is all-present?
When we say that God is all-present we mean that He is everywhere.
12. Does God see us?
God sees us and watches over us with loving care.
13. What do we mean when we say that God is almighty?
When we say that God is almighty we mean that He can do all things.
14. Is there only one God?
Yes, there is only one God.
15. How many persons are there in God?
In God there are three Divine Persons-the Father,the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
16. What do we mean by the Blessed Trinity?
By the Blessed Trinity we mean one and the same God in three Divine Persons.
17. What do we mean when we say that God is the creator of heaven and earth?
When we say that God is the creator of heaven and earth we mean that He made all things from nothing.
18. Which are the chief creatures of God?
The chief creatures of God are angels and men.
19. What are angels?
Angels are created spirits, without bodies.
20. Did all angels remain faithful to God?
Not all the angels remained faithful to God; some of them sinned.
21. What happened to the angels who remained faithful to God?
The angels who remained faithful to God entered into the eternal happiness of heaven, and these are called the good angels.
22. How do the good angels help us?
The good angels help us by praying for us, by acting as messengers from God to us, and by serving as our guardian angels.
23.What happened to the angels who did not remain faithful to God?
The angels who did not remain faithful to God were cast into hell, and these are called bad angels, or devils.
24. What is man?
Man is a creature composed of body and soul, and made to the image and likeness of God.
25. Who were the first man and woman?
The first man and woman were Adam and Eve.
26. What commandment did God give Adam and Eve?
God give Adam and Eve the commandment not to eat of the fruit of a certain tree that grew in the Garden of Paradise.
27. Did Adam and Eve obey the commandment of God?
Adam and Eve did not obey the commandment of God, but ate of the forbidden fruit.
28. What happened to Adam and Eve on account of their sin?
On account of their sin Adam and Eve lost sanctifying grace and the right to heaven, and were driven from the garden of Paradise.
29. What has happened to us on account of the sin of Adam?
On account of the sin of Adam we have come into the world without grace, and we inherit his punishment.
30. What is this sin called?
This sin is called original sin.
31. Was any human person ever free from original sin?
The Blessed Virgin Mary was free from original sin, and this favor is called her Immaculate Conception.
32. Is original sin the only kind of sin?
Original sin is not the only kind of sin; there is another kind, called actual sin, which we ourselves commit.
33. What is actual sin?
Actual sin is any willfull thought, desire, word, action, or omission forbidden by the law of God.
34. How many kinds of actual sin are there?
There are two kinds of actual sin: mortal and venial sin.
35. What is mortal sin?
Mortal sin is a grievous offense against the law of God.
36. Why is this sin called mortal?
This sin called mortal because it takes away the life of the soul.
37. What three things are necessary to make a sin mortal?
To make a sin mortal these three things are necessary:
First, the thought, desire, word, action or omission must be seriously wrong or considered seriously wrong;
Second, the sinner must know it is seriously wrong;
Third, the sinner must fully consent to it.
38. What is venial sin?
Venial sin is a less serious offense against the law of God.
39. How can a sin be venial?
A sin can be venial in two ways.
First, when the evil done is not seriously wrong.
Second, when the evil done is seriously wrong, but the sinner sincerely believes it is only slightly wrong or does not give full consent to it.
40. Did God abandon man after Adam fell into sin?
God did not abandon man after Adam fell into sin but, promised to send into the world a Savior to free man from his sins and to reopen the gates of heaven.
41. Who is the Savior of all men?
The Savior of all men is Jesus Christ.
42. What is the chief teaching of the Catholic Church about Jesus Christ?
The chief teaching of the Catholic Church about Jesus Christ is that He is God and man.
43. Is Jesus Christ more than one person?
No, Jesus Christ is only one person; and that Person is the second Person of the Blessed Trinity.
44. How many natures has Jesus Christ?
Jesus Christ has two natures: the nature of God and the nature of man.
45. When was Christ born?
Christ was born of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Christmas Day, in Bethlehem, more than nineteen hundred years ago.
46. What is meant by the redemption?
By the Redemption is meant that Jesus Christ offered His sufferings and death to God in satisfaction for the sins of men.
47. What do we learn from the sufferings and death of Christ?
From the sufferings and death of Christ we learn God's love for man and the evil of sin.
48. What do we mean when we say in the Apostles' Creed that Christ descended into hell?
When we say that Christ descended into hell we mean that, after He died, the soul of Christ descended into a place or state of rest where the souls of the just were waiting for Him.
49. When did Christ rise from the dead?
Christ rose from the dead, glorious and immortal, on Easter Sunday, the third day after His death.
50. When did Christ ascend into heaven?
Christ ascended body and soul, into heaven on Ascension Day, forty days after His resurrection.
51. What do we mean when we say that Christ sits at the right hand of the God, the Father Almighty?,
When we say Christ sits at the right hand of the God, is equal to the Father, and that as man He has the highest place in heaven, next to God.
52. What do we mean when we say that Christ will come from thence to judge the living and the dead?
When we say that Christ will come from thence to judge the living and the dead, we mean that on the last day Our Lord will come to judge everyone who has ever lived in this world.
53. Who is the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is God and the third Person of the Blessed Trinity.
54. What does the Holy Spirit do for the salvation of mankind?
The Holy Spirit sanctifies souls through the gift of grace.
55. How many kinds of grace are there?
There are two kinds of grace: sanctifying grace and actual grace?
56. What does sanctifying grace do for us?
first, makes us holy and pleasing to God;
second, makes us adopted children of God;
third, makes us temples of the Holy Spirit;
fourth, gives us the right to heaven.
57. What is actual grace?
Actual grace is a supernatural help of God which enlightens our mind and strengthens our will to do good and to avoid evil.
58. What are the principal ways of obtaining grace?
The principal ways of obtaining grace are prayer and the sacraments, especially the Holy Eucharist.
59. What are the chief powers that are given to us with sanctifying grace?
The chief powers that are given to us with sanctifying grace are the theological virtues and the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.
60. What are the three theological virtues?
The three theological virtues are faith, hope, and charity.
61. What is faith?
Faith is a virtue by which we firmly believe on the word of God all the truths He has revealed.
62. What is hope?
Hope is the virtue by which we firmly trust that God will give us eternal happiness and the means to obtain it.
63. What is charity?
Charity is the virtue by which we love God above all things for His own sake, and our neighbor as ourselves for the Love of God.
64. Which are the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit?
The seven gifts of the Holy Spirit are: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord.
65. What is the Catholic Church?
The Church is the congregation of all baptized persons united in the same true faith, the same sacrifice, and the same sacraments, under the Holy Father, the Pope.
66. Why did Jesus Christ found the Church?
Jesus Christ founded the Church to bring all men to eternal salvation.
67. To whom did Christ give the power to teach, to sanctify, and to rule the members of His Church?
Christ gave the power to teach, to sanctify, and to rule the members of His Church to the apostles, the first bishops of the church?
68. Who are the successors of the apostles?
The successors of the apostles are the bishops of the church.
69. Did Christ give special power in His Church to any one of the apostles?
Christ gave special power in His Church to Saint Peter by making him the head of the apostles and the chief teacher and ruler of the entire church.
70. Who is the successor of Saint Peter?
The successor of Saint Peter is the Holy Father, the Bishop of Rome.
71. Who help the bishops in the care of the souls.
The priests, especially parish priests, help the bishops in the care of the souls.
72. Which is the one true Church established by Christ?
The one true Church established by Christ is the Catholic Church.
73. How do we know that the Catholic Church is the one true Church established by Christ?
We know that the Catholic Church is the one true Church established by Christ because it alone has the marks of the true Church.
74. What are the chief marks of the church?
The chief marks of the church are four: It is one, holy, catholic or universal, and apostolic.
75. Are all obliged to belong to the Catholic Church, in some way, in order to be saved?
All are obliged to belong to the Catholic Church, in some way, in order to be saved.
76. What is meant by "the communion of saints" in the Apostles' Creed?
By "the communion of saints" is meant the union of the faithful on earth, the blessed in heaven, and the souls in purgatory, with Christ as their head.
77. What is meant in the Apostles' Creed by "the forgiveness of sins"?
By "the forgiveness of sins" in the Apostles' Creed is meant that God has given to the Church, through Jesus Christ, the power to forgive sins.
78. What is meant by "the resurrection of the body"?
By "the resurrection of the body" is meant that at the end of the world the bodies of all men will rise from the earth and be united again to their souls, nevermore to be separated.
79. Has the body of any human person ever been taken into heaven?
By the special favor of her Assumption, the body of the blessed Virgin Mary was raised from the dead and taken into heaven.
80. What is the judgement called which will be passed on all men immediately after the general resurrection?
The judgement which will be passed on all men immediately after the general resurrection is called the general judgement.
81. What is the judgement called which will be passed on each one of us immediately after death?
The judgement which will be passed on each one of us immediatly after death is called the particular judgement.
82. What are the rewards or punishments appointed for men after the particular judgement?
The rewards or punishments appointed for men after the particular judgement are heaven, purgatory, or hell.
83. What is meant by the word "Amen" with which we end the Apostles' Creed?
The word "Amen" with which we end the Apostles' Creed, is meant "So be it."
84. Besides believing what God has revealed, what else must we do to be saved?
Besides believing what God has revealed, we must keep his law?
85. Which are the two great commandments that contain the whole law of God?
The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:
first, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
second, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
86. What must we do to love God, our neighbor, and ourselves?
To love God, our neighbor, and ourselves we must keep the commandments of God and of the Church.
87. Which are the commandments of God?
1. I am the Lord thy God; thou shalt not have strange gods before Me.
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
3. Remember thou keep holy the Lord's day.
4. Honor thy father and thy mother.
5. Thou shall not kill.
6. Thou shall not commit adultery.
7. Thou shall not steal.
8. Thou shall not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
9. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife.
10.Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's goods.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Chapter 2 semester2 christology
Complete New Saint Joseph First Communion Catechis…
Complete New Saint Joseph First Communion Catechis…
Who is Jesus Christ? Semester Exam
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
Preparation for Confirmation
Preparation for Confirmation
Preparation for Confirmation
THIS SET IS OFTEN IN FOLDERS WITH...
New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1 Lesson 1
New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1 Lesson 2
New St. Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1 Lesson 3
New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism No. 1 Lesson…