Social Psych EXAM 3 CH 11
Terms in this set (16)
Is violence a unique and universal hallmark of humanity?
NO! animals can be aggressive and some groups have much lower violence than others
What are the gender differences when it comes to aggression?
- men are more physically aggressive by age 2
- women are more relationally aggressive by age 4-5
- in terms of frequency, women are more physically aggressive than men in relationship conflict (hit/throw things)
What are the causes of aggression?
1) Nature vs. nurture
2) Media portrayals of aggression
How does "nature" cause aggression?
- violence/aggression is adaptive
who are we least likely to aggress towards? what evidence shows this?
- least likely to aggress against family/ people with similar genes
- step/foster parents are 100x more likely to kill their children dear god lol
what is the frustration-aggression hypothesis?
1) frustration always elicits the motive to aggress
2) all aggression is caused by frustration.
what is displacement?
Aggressing against a substitute target because aggressive acts against the source of the frustration are inhibited by fear or lack of access.
what is catharsis?
A reduction of the motive to aggress that is said to result from any imagined, observed, or actual act of aggression.
what is the I cubed theory?
- Instigation (triggers)
- Impellance (personality/situational factors that promote aggression)
- Inhibition (factors of self control)
How does "nurture" cause aggression?
what is social learning?
when you observe a model committing aggression, then you model the aggression
what study shows social learning and aggression?
bobo doll study!! all it takes is exposure!!
describe the correlational study on media portrayal of aggression
- recorded amount of violent tv 8 yr olds watched
- 15 yrs later assessed how aggressive they were
- violent tv exposure correlated with level of aggression as young adults
describe the experimental study on media portrayal of aggression
- used video games (violent game vs. tetris)
- those who played the violent video game acted more aggressively against someone else
who is more likely to be affected by exposure to violence?
aggressive individuals (those who are already aggressive to begin with)
what is multi systemic therapy?
- One of the most successful treatment programs for violent juvenile delinquents
- addresses individuals' problems at several different levels, including the needs of the adolescents and the many contexts in which they are embedded, such as family, peer group, school, and neighborhood