As Small As An Elephant - Jacobson.
Terms in this set (100)
1. why did Jack's mom want him to take the lighter weight sleeping bag?
So it could scrunch up smaller than the warmer one
2. Who's idea was it to take the lighter weight sleeping back?
3. Who's idea was it to take the warmer sleeping bag?
4. why did Jack need a sleeping bag?
He was sleeping in a tent in Acadia National Park
5. why was Jack and his mom able to get a campground spot late at night?
Another family had to leave because of a sick kid
6. why doesn't Jack know what his mom's tent looked like?
They set it up in the dark
7. what kind of car did Jack's mom rent?
8. why did Jack's mom want to rent a prius?
She felt it was good for the earth
9. what is "poo power"?
energy made from elephant poop
10. what does Jack's mom call poo power?
11. what does a prius car run on?
Electricity and gas
12. what are "red snappers"?
bright red hot dogs
13. what did Jack call bright red hot dogs?
14. why can't Jack find his mom's car?
He is unsure of the color of the Prius
15. what is Dinty Moore?
It is a stew that comes in a can
16. how does Jack know what Dinty Moore is?
His mom works late at night and he sometimes eats it for dinner
17. why isn't Jack able to call his mom on his cell phone when he wakes up and finds her missing?
He has no cell phone reception where he is
18. how do elephants keep in touch?
With low pitched sounds that humans can't hear
19. what might an elephant do if he feels a tsunami is coming?
Run towards the hills
20. what does Jack's mom do for a job?
She is a driver for a hotel
21. why does the red snapper snap?
It has a tough casing on it
22. why doesn't Jack look at the remote parts of the beach when his mom is missing?
He knows she hates to be alone
23. what does Jack discover when he buys a local newspaper?
That a 9 year old girl is missing
24. why did Jack bring a Hubba?
It is the kind of tent he slept in at night
25. how many Christmas trees can an elephant eat?
26. do they give elephants leftover Christmas trees to eat?
27. what does it mean if an elephant starts running towards a hill?
That a tsunami is coming
28. why does Jack mom tell him that she "smells you"?
that's her way of saying he's cool
29. why did Jack have $14?
He had it to buy souvenirs from his vacation
30. what does Jack's mom put in the dining room instead of a table?
31. where does Jack's mom put their hammock?
In the dining room
32. what part of an elephant lets it swim underwater?
33. what is the island explorer?
A small bus that takes you around the island Jack is camping on
34. what is the name of the free bus that takes campers around the island?
The Island Explorer
35. why is Jack glad he can use the Island Explorer?
So he can ride around and look for his mom
36. what did Jack forget to do before jumping in the water with Aiden?
To remove his cell phone from his pocket
37. where does Jack see elephants when he is at the beach?
In the sky, some clouds were elephant shaped
38. what does the red patch on Jack's battery tell him?
That his battery was dead because it got wet
39. how are elephants able to walk silently?
They have thick pads on their feet
40. what is the role of DSS?
To protect kids from their parents
41. what is one thing that can burn in space?
42. why doesn't Jack want to tell Diane that his mom is gone?
He's afraid she will call the police
43. what animal steals food from Jack's backpack?
44. what are lobes on elephants?
It is the "fingers" at the end of the their trunk
45. how does Jack earn money for food after the raccoon steals his food?
He collects cans and plastic bottles to recycle
46. how does Jack injure his hand when looking for cans?
The lid of the wooden door falls on his hand because of a cat
47. why does Jack use different frozen items at the grocery store?
To help his hurting, injured hand
48. why isn't Jack able to send an email to his mom at the library?
The library is closed for Labor Day
49. what happens when Jack's mom has "pinwheel times"?
she gets crazy and irresponsible
50. according the Jack's mom, what is the rarest color?
A brownish purple called sunken treasure
51. what flavor of ice cream is most unique to Maine?
Lobster ice cream
52. why is Jack excited to see someone with a Geddy shirt?
His mom has a shirt just like it
53. what is "sunken treasure"?
the color that Jack thinks is the most rarest
54. what is Geddy?
A bar/restaurant in the town of Bar Harbor
55. how is Jack able to get free ice cream?
He keeps asking for samples of different flavors
56. what is "Ewe"?
a language spoken in Ghana, Africa
57. where does BIG Jack think Jack's mom has gone to?
58. who fixes Jack's broken finger?
59. how is Jack finally able to describe his mom?
By the tattoo on her finger
60. what does Big Jack offer to buy Jack?
61. what does Jack take from the gift shop?
A small plastic elephant
62. how is Jack like the book Charlotte's Web?
He goes into the loft of the barn
63. what did Jack steal from Mrs. Olson's garden?
64. what is a "pantry row" in a garden?
A line of vegetables that a gardener plants for people who need food, fresh food
65. why doesn't the gardener help Jack pick the vegetables?
She has no car and she needs to hang up the wash
66. why does Jack feel he is like an island?
He is alone, he knows no one, surrounded by strangers
67. what does Jack need if he wants to use a public library computer?
A letter from his mother
68. what is the purpose of a treasure trove in the public library?
It is a place with books that they can't get rid of
69. why did Jack want to see Lydia?
It's an elephant that lives in Maine
70. why does Jack like the license plate from Tennessee?
It has an elephant on it
71. why does Jack hide in the back of a pickup?
He is hoping the people are driving back to Massachusetts and he can hitch a ride
72. what do some elephants do when they are laughed at?
The fill their trunks full of water and spray the people laughing at them
73. what do African farmers put around their plants to keep elephants away from their crops?
Hot chili peppers
74. what happened when Jack was "unschooled"?
he didn't have any regular education
75. how does Jack dry his clothes at LL Bean store?
He goes into a dressing room and hangs his wet clothes up to dry
76. why doesn't Jack's mom want to take him to a circus to see a real elephant?
Because she thinks circuses are cruel to animals
77. how did Jack's grandmother realize he was missing?
The man from the boat heading to the Bahamas with his mom called her
78. what should an elephant do when it feels warm or hot?
Flap it's ears to cool off
79. where does Jack get a bike to ride home?
In the LL Bean Store
80. why is it a good idea for Jack to wear a helmet as he rides the stolen bike?
People won't recognize him
81. what does Jack lose when he goes exploring Fort Knox?
All his belongings AND the bike
82. why did Jack's mom get angry as they drove up to Maine?
He wanted to stop and see a real elephant and she didn't
83. why was Jack disappointed when he went to the free Internet café?
He needed his own computer to get onto the internet
84. what does Jack discover in the backroom of the Left Bank Book Store?
85. how does Jack mean Sylvie?
She recognizes him as the missing boy and chases after him
86. why do people in Thailand walk under an elephant's belly?
For good luck
87. how is hunger like an alarm clock?
It goes off every so often, but it you ignore it, it goes away
88. what does Wyatt want to do with Jack?
Take him to York to see the elephant
89. who sent Wyatt to find Jack?
90. why does Jack run away from Wyatt?
He overheard him talking about his grandmother offering a reward
91. what do people in Thailand do for good luck?
They walk under an elephant's belly
92. where does Jack hide after being recognized by the clerks in a convenience store?
In a dumpster
93. how does the policeman trick Jack into revealing himself?
He calls him by his right name and Jack answers
94. where did Jack tell the policeman he was going?
To violin lessons
95. what does a trunk mean if it's pointing up?
96. Who is the first person to catch Jack?
97. why wouldn't Jack be able to see Lydia after Labor Day?
Because her owner takes her to Florida after Labor Day
98. who did Jack find at Lydia's cage?
99. who was the person who took Jack to see his first elephant at the circus?
100. Who helped Jack along the way, without him even knowing?
Aiden and his family, Big Jack, Sylvie, Wyatt, Mrs. Olson, the man at the food pantry and the librarian.