all or nothing, have binaries and juxtaposition; emotional expression, sacred, reverance, road, doesn't encourage reflection, thick and hard to take apart- examples are the American Flag, the cross, the Statue of Liberty, pink ribbon
-combine several complete ideas into one symbol or sign that the individual perceives, this single symbol stands for all of these ideas simultaneously, this summarizing occurs often with sacred symbols such as the American flag, summarizing symbols act as a catalyst in order to make on impact on the respondent; usually one word and sacred, used to cohere people
1) Sita was shown as experiencing domestic violence and it seemed to make people feel as though Hinduism was being attacked because only negative things were being highlighted-Rama stomping on her pregnant stomach and sending her out to the woods while pregnant
2) Paley incorporated her own personal stories into this story. People found this insulting that she was comparing her heartbreak to the Ramayan, a sacred part of Hindu religion, and that she was trying to show Sita as the same level of her.
3)Paley made Sita and Rama represent the ideal man and woman. Many found this to be bad because Rama seemed to be a sexist and rude person, which is not the ideal man. The ideal woman acting the way she did as a wife was also offensive. According to the typical Ramayan, the man is supposed to represent perfection, while the woman represents chastity, which was not shown here.
4) Paley failed to represent the spiritual truths behind this story. Paley just focused on the betrayal part of the story and didn't really touch on the consequences that happen when you are unkind to women.
5) People also felt that the puppets made the story unprofessional because they were just random people giving their opinions, it wasn't really useful.
6) she wasn't supposed to do this because she is a white woman so she didn't have the authority, so who is allowed to do this in terms of cultural property, but who's property is it to touch, Romsky would say this because people have adapted