Study sets, textbooks, questions
Upgrade to remove ads
Repro Final N1
Terms in this set (31)
What is normal blood pressure for an infant?
80/30 - 105/40
What is a normal infant heart rate?
What is a normal respiratory rate for an infant?
What is a normal infant temperature
What is the Palmer relfex
Put finger in middle of hand.
Infant should grab it
What is the Plantar Grasp
Pressing thumb against sole of foot behind the toes. The toes should flex
What is Babinski Sign
Stroke bottom of foot the toes should fan out
Moro (startle) reflex
Infant will startle in response to a loud sound or sudden movement
Stroke baby's cheek and they turn toward that side and look for nipple.
Present from birth-4 months
What are Milia
Pimples found on the infants face caused by the sebaceous glands
What patient teaching should you do in regards to Milia
They are common and will resolve within a few weeks of life
Do not touch them
What does APGAR stand for?
When is an APGAR score taken?
1 minute and 5 minutes after birth
What is a satisfactory APGAR score?
What APGAR score indicates the infant needs stimulation?
What APGAR score indicates immediate interventions?
What is acrocyanosis?
Cyanosis of hands and feet
how long is acrocyanosis normal in infants?
Within the first few days of life
Why would a newborn have crackles in the lungs?
Because of the fluid from birth - it is cleared out by crying or suctioning - monitor with a pulse ox
Why would a newborn have a heart murmur?
may be heard up to 24 hours after birth as the valves close
What assessment would you do for a heart murmur and crackles in the lungs of a newborn?
Pulse ox and an ultrasound
What is a neutral thermal environment? How is it maintained?
Temp at which newborn requires least metabolic demands. Keep thermostat at 80 degrees
What should you teach parents about an umbilical cord?
- It will fall off by itself in 1-4 weeks
- Fold diaper below the cord so it stays clean and dry
- Do Not Pick or Pull Off
- Clear or slightly bloody discharge may occur when it falls off
What should you teach parents about bottles?
- Never prop a bottle
- Replaced cracked pacifiers - could be choking hazard
What should you teach about breastfeeding?
Delay pacifier use until lactation is strong
Breast Milk is best
Consider a lactation consultant
Feed every 2-3 hours
What should you teach about bottle feeding?
Never Prop Bottle
Feed every 3-4 hours
What should you teach about sleeping
- Place on back on a firm sleep surface
- Breastfeeding reduces risk of SIDS
- Keep objects out of crib
- Keep Crib close to parents bed
What should you teach about vaccinations?
Vaccinate according to approved immunization schedule by the CDC
1st HEP B is given in the hospital
Car Seat Safety
- Use a car seat on the ride home
- Place in middle back seat
- Rear facing until age 2
- Always keep windows closed/doors locked
- Never leave unattended
- Weight determines how long they are needed
- Petroleum Jelly applied to tip of penis w/ each diaper change
- Do not wash off any yellow crusting
- if there is any unusual swelling, oozing or bleeding, call your provider
- Takes 7-10 days to heal
- Prevention is Best
- Change Diaper ASAP
- Wash butt w/ warm water and pat dry
- Skin may peel on feet/hands/scalp
- powder not recommended
Sets found in the same folder
Oxygenation ATI Quiz
Perfusion ATI Quiz
UMHB-HCD Rheumatoid Arthritis
Elimination ATI Quiz
Other sets by this creator
Swift river Mental Health
Nutrition Final A
Chapter 16: Endocrine System Disorders
Nutrition Unit 2 Quizzes