AP English 4 Vocabulary (Module 4.3)
Terms in this set (5)
Definition: deserving praise and commendation
- His laudable dedication and efforts earned him first place in the Calculus Bowl.
- Though she wasn't the smartest in her class, her efforts were always laudable.
Definition: substitution of a related or closely associated word for the word actually meant
- "The pen is mightier than the sword."
- to lend someone a "hand"
Definition: substitution where a part stands for the whole
- "wheels" refers to a car
- "suits" can refer to business people
Definition: a phrase coined by Ruskin to denote the tendency to credit nature with the emotions of human beings; any false emotionalism resulting in a too impassioned description of nature
- "Great milk comes from happy cows. Happy cows come from California." (Real California Milk TV Commercial)
- "By th'clock 'tis day,/ And yet dark night strangles the travelling lamp; is't night's predominance, or the day's shame, That darkness does the face of earth entomb/ When living light should kiss it?" (William Shakespeare, Macbeth)
Deus ex Machina
Definition: the employment of some unexpected and improbable incident in a story or play to make things turn out right; in ancient Greek theater when gods were lowered to the stage form the "machine" above
- Cinderella's fairy godmother magically appears and is able to fix all of Cinderella's problems (dress, carriage, servants)
- When a passing ship is able to rescue the boys in The Lord of the Flies
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...
Numbers & Animals Vocabulary | Everyday Simplified Mandarin Chinese
AP Lang: All Rhetorical Device Examples
Vocab 7 & 8
AP4 Literary Terms
OTHER SETS BY THIS CREATOR
AP English Vocabulary (Module 4.2)
AP English 4 Vocabulary (Module 4.1)
AP English 4 Vocabulary (Module 3.4)
AP English 4 Vocabulary (Module 3.3)